South Bay News
Bank robber escapes on BMX bike in Santa Cruz
SANTA CRUZ, Calif. -- Police are looking for a robbery suspect who entered a Santa Cruz business Friday evening with a note demanding money and stating he had a gun.
Officers responded to a report of an armed robbery around 5:25 p.m. at a business in the 1100 block of Cedar Street. The suspect had entered the business and approached an employee with a demand note for money. The note also said he had a gun, police said.
The employee gave the man money and he then fled on a bicycle.
Arriving officers, along with a K-9 dog named Layko, searched for the suspect but could not find him.
The suspect is described as a black 28-year-old man standing about 6 feet 2 inches tall with a thin build. He was seen wearing a blue-and-white hooded sweatshirt and a blue-and-white beanie. He had on a black backpack and rode off on a BMX-style bicycle, police said.
No one was injured during the robbery, according to police.
Anyone with information about the armed robbery is encouraged to call Santa Cruz police at (831) 420-5820 or an anonymous tip line at (831) 420-5995.
santa cruz, crime, south bay news
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley
- 3-alarm fire burns three homes in San Francisco
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Fire in Novato damages garage and two cars 26 min ago
- Free health clinics to take place in the Bay Area 58 min ago
- Tri-Valley area could see higher drought rates
- Palo Alto hiker rescued in Yosemite after fall
- FedEx sued over deadly California bus crash
- Measuring California's impact from affirmative action ban
- Classical music legend Art Barnes is retiring
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Murder-for-hire plot; East Bay parks plan
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos