South Bay News
Bank robber escapes on BMX bike in Santa Cruz
SANTA CRUZ, Calif. -- Police are looking for a robbery suspect who entered a Santa Cruz business Friday evening with a note demanding money and stating he had a gun.
Officers responded to a report of an armed robbery around 5:25 p.m. at a business in the 1100 block of Cedar Street. The suspect had entered the business and approached an employee with a demand note for money. The note also said he had a gun, police said.
The employee gave the man money and he then fled on a bicycle.
Arriving officers, along with a K-9 dog named Layko, searched for the suspect but could not find him.
The suspect is described as a black 28-year-old man standing about 6 feet 2 inches tall with a thin build. He was seen wearing a blue-and-white hooded sweatshirt and a blue-and-white beanie. He had on a black backpack and rode off on a BMX-style bicycle, police said.
No one was injured during the robbery, according to police.
Anyone with information about the armed robbery is encouraged to call Santa Cruz police at (831) 420-5820 or an anonymous tip line at (831) 420-5995.
santa cruz, crime, south bay news
- Man hit by tour bus on 7th, Mission streets in SF 26 min ago
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown 18 min ago
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in wife's death
- US rejects Crimea vote, cites Russian intimidation 44 min ago
- Cause of Mountain View house fire investigated 13 min ago
- High surf advisory issued for Bay Area beaches
- Tyler, the Creator plays sold-out show after jail 49 min ago
- Tax payment scam cost Belmont woman $3,000 36 min ago
- Campaign to save dog in Arizona mauling case 3 min ago
- Memorial bench to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- CA Republican Party holds convention in Burlingame
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- Final words from jet came after system...
18 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos