South Bay News
San Jose teacher arrested for child molestation
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- A San Jose teacher is facing child molestation charges. Craig Chandler, 35, is accused of aggravated sexual assault on a child.
Chandler worked at O.B. Whaley Elementary School for nine years. He most recently taught a second/third grade combo class.
San Jose police believe Chandler sexually assaulted a child on campus between August and October 2011. But they will not say if it happened during school hours or if the child was even a student at the school. They do worry more victims may be out there because Chandler was a teacher for so long.
Tuesday night, the president of the West Evergreen Neighborhood Association, Robert Sandoval, spoke with ABC7 about the suspect. As a community member, he says he knows every teacher at this school, including Chandler.
"I was appalled to hear what he had done. I mean shocking. I never would have thought that he would be a person to take advantage of a child. Never would have thought that," said Sandoval.
Evergreen School District superintendant Katherine Gomez released a statement saying, "The District is cooperating fully with the San Jose Police Department and we want to assure the community that the safety and well-being of our children is our primary concern."
Chandler is being held without bail. He will make his first appearance in a San Jose courtroom Friday.
Detectives are urging any more victims to come forward and tell San Jose police. People with information can call the police department's sexual assaults unit at (408) 537-1395 or the anonymous tip line at (408) 947-STOP (7867).
san jose, crime, south bay news, lisa amin gulezian
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos