South Bay News
More victims suspected in teacher molestation case
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- A San Jose elementary school teacher appeared in court Friday to face child sex charges. Craig Chandler has been teaching at Whaley Elementary for nine years. In San Jose there is word that there may be more victims.
When police first arrested Chandler on Tuesday, they said they knew of one victim. Now, the deputy district attorney says there may be others.
Chandler appeared subdued when he appeared in Santa Clara County Superior Court Friday afternoon. He's accused of sexual assault against a child between August and October of last year. It's not known if the victim was a student in his combined class of 2nd and 3rd graders.
His defense attorney asked that a three-page police report be sealed. Judge Alden Danner granted that request. As San Jose police worked on the case, it appears that other suspected victims have surfaced. That has not been publicly announced earlier, but it was revealed when the charges levied against Chandler were filed in court. Deputy District Attorney Alison Filo provided confirmation after the short court appearance.
Alison Filo: There's a special allegation under penal code section 667.61 which alleges multiple victims, such that he is eligible for life in prison.
Louie: You're alleging that there are multiple victims out there?
Filo: We are alleging that there are multiple victims.
"Just this morning I was given a number of police reports. We're just reviewing those reports now. I will say that Mr. Chandler is very devastated by these allegations. We are going to be vigorously defending him," said
Chandler did not enter a plea. His arraignment has been rescheduled for Jan. 31st -- 18 days from now. He's being held without bail.
The court also approved a protective order that bars any contact between Chandler and the victims or their families. We're told that is a routine step taken in this kind of case.
san jose, crime, children, south bay news, david louie
- Memorial takes place in SF to honor Mandela 14 min ago
- Firefighters control 4-alarm fire in Concord
- Bay Area freeze extends longer than expected
- Protest gets heated for Santa Rosa teen shot
- Bank robbery suspect shot near mall in San Rafael 7 min ago
- NTSB: Asiana captain worried about visual landing 19 min ago
- Golf pro charged with sexually abusing boys
- Richmond police searching for young runaway sisters
- SF Giants pitcher inspired by Batkid to give
- Husband's tutu project gets T-Mobile's support
- Winter Spare the Air called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Obama poses for selfie at Mandela's memorial
- roundup: Golf pro charged; Xmas tree in Bay
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bank robbery suspect shot near mall in San...
7 min ago