South Bay News
Officer fatally shoots man during DUI stop
SANTA CLARA, Calif. (KGO) -- Santa Clara police are investigating the city's first shooting death of the year. A police officer fatally shot a man during a DUI stop on the 2400 block of Karen Drive Saturday night.
The neighborhood is trying to piece together exactly what happened Saturday night. Oscar Perez says he heard something as he was watching TV.
"I've heard gun shots before, but it was kind of faint, but I did hear one or two shots," he said.
Another neighbor said he clearly heard a police officer shout three warnings before shooting.
"And then the third one was, 'I told you to put your hands on your head, or I'm going to shoot you,'" the neighbor said. "And not even two seconds after he said that, two bullets rang out."
He says it happened in a driveway. The shooting scene was cleaned up after investigators spent the night collecting evidence.
Police say the man who was shot was stopped by an officer for suspicion of driving under the influence.
"The driver was uncooperative with the officer, which prompted the officer to call for backup," Santa Clara Police Lt. Kurt Clarke said. "The driver inside the vehicle reached for a weapon, that being a revolver, prompting the officer to respond."
Police say the man died at the scene before medical teams could arrive.
Neighbors say the man who was shot is 42-year-old Jose Jesus Nunez and he lives in an apartment with two friends.
The neighbor who heard most of the incident says he was surprised at how quickly the officer pulled the trigger after the third warning.
"The thing that concerned me, and I didn't see what transpired, but right after he yelled that third warning, it wasn't even a second," he said.
Nunez's family says they are still trying to get information about what happened.
The officer involved in the shooting has been placed on paid administrative leave, standard during an officer involved shooting.
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact Santa Clara police Detective Sgt. Brian Gilbert at (408) 615-4849.
santa clara, DUI, shooting, south bay news
- Two men shot, killed on I-880 in Oakland ID'd
- Photos released of suspect in violent SJ carjacking
- Police say realignment may be cause of crime spike
- Longshoreman killed after truck falls into water
- FEMA to fund removal of trees from East Bay Hills
- Steve Wozniak to give Cal commencement speech
- Conn. commuter trains collide; 60 go to hospitals
- Italian team calls for better safety for America's Cup
- Grenade found in San Jose garage detonated safely
- Report: Yahoo nearing $1.1B acquisition of Tumblr
- Get Free Stuff: Purse, nail kit, comedy show
- abcnews: Rumor: Beyonce pregnant with 2nd child
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Bay to Breakers
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday