South Bay News
Kidnap suspect in custody after car chase
SANTA CLARA COUNTY, Calif. (KGO) -- Santa Cruz County Sheriff's deputies chased a kidnapping suspect on Highway 17 Sunday evening. The chase ended when the suspect's vehicle overturned and landed in some bushes on the northbound side of Highway 17. The chase started at Idylwild Drive and ended at Alma Bridge Road.
The driver of a Toyota Camry was wanted by San Jose police on suspicion of kidnapping. According to the Santa Clara Sheriff's Department, a deputy spotted the car on Mt. Hermon Road and gave chase. The driver, who had a small child with him, lost control veered off the highway and flipped the car.
Sheriff's deputies say the young child was unhurt and the driver has not yet been identified. He was taken into custody by San Jose police. The relationship between the child and the alleged kidnapper is unknown at this time.
Highway 17 was closed for about an hour and a half and around 9:45 p.m. it reopened. Still, accident tied up traffic for hours. The highway patrol managed to lower the car from the embankment around 9:15 and put it on a tow truck.
A deputy was slightly injured when the suspect resisted arrest.
highway 17, santa cruz county, south bay news
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- All lanes of I-880 in Oakland cleared after fatal crash
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos