South Bay News
Hiker dies in cliff fall near Gilroy
GILROY, Calif. -- A man in his early 20s was found dead at the bottom of a cliff after a day of hiking near Gilroy on Sunday, according to the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office.
Around 9 a.m., the hiker and another man drove to the Bell Station area near the 1400 block of Pacheco Pass Highway, in unincorporated Santa Clara County just outside of Gilroy, and began hiking up rocks and cliffs, sheriff's officials said.
Around 4:40 p.m., sheriff's deputies were notified that the two hikers had fallen off a cliff. One had reportedly had suffered major injuries.
Deputies, working Cal Fire crews, found that man dead near the base of the cliff, sheriff's officials said. The other hiker was taken to a hospital to be treated for his injuries.
The hikers' names have not been released.
Anyone with information about the case is asked to call Santa Clara County sheriff's Detective Sgts. Ryan Elder or Julian Quinonez at (408) 808-4500, or an anonymous tip line at (408) 808-4431.
gilroy, falls, south bay news
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- All lanes of I-880 in Oakland cleared after fatal crash
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos