South Bay News
Hiker who survived cliff fall in stable condition
GILROY, Calif. -- A hiker who survived a fall from a cliff near Gilroy that left his climbing partner dead is in stable condition, Santa Clara County sheriff's officials said Tuesday.
James Martin III, of Hollister, survived a fall from the top of "Lovers Leap" cliff in the Pacheco Pass area of unincorporated Santa Clara County, sheriff's officials said.
His hiking partner, Travis Bermudes, 22, of Hollister, was found dead at the bottom of the cliff.
Martin and Bermudes had driven to the Bell Station area near the 1400 block of Pacheco Pass Highway and began hiking up rocks and cliffs at about 9 a.m. Sunday, according to the sheriff's office.
At the top of the cliff, the hikers lost the climbing equipment necessary to rappel down. They then lost their footing while attempting to retrieve the equipment, and fell from the cliff, sheriff's officials said.
Deputies were notified at about 4:40 p.m. that the two hikers had fallen, and that one had suffered major injuries.
Working with Cal Fire crews, deputies found Bermudes dead near the base of the cliff.
Martin was taken to a hospital to be treated for his injuries, and sheriff's officials said Tuesday he is expected to survive.
Anyone with information about the case is asked to call Santa Clara County sheriff's Detective Sgt. Ryan Elder or Detective Sgt. Julian Quinonez at (408) 808-4500 or the office's anonymous tip line at (408) 808-4431.
gilroy, falls, south bay news
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- San Francisco officer injured in crash after pursuit
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster climbs to 33 52 min ago
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101 33 min ago
- Young Oakland woman dies at Coachella music fest 10 min ago
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman
- Scratch lotto ticket bought in Milpitas worth $1.3M 49 min ago
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- Counties tell Brown they need money for his law 37 min ago
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster...
52 min ago