South Bay News
Search suspended for missing mom after murder-suicide
GILROY, Calif. (KGO) -- The search has been suspended for the mother of an Iraq War veteran suspected of killing his little sister and then himself.
Martha Gutierrez hasn't been seen since authorities discovered the bodies of her 11-year old daughter, Lucero, and 27-year old son, specialist Abel Gutierrez.
Family and friends say they won't stop looking for the missing mom unitl they find her. Search crews found no signs of her Saturday.
Relatives say specialist Gutierrez was suffering from post traumatic stress disorder.
Specialist Gutierrez did two tours in the Middle East. A Washington National Guard spokesperson said the last tour was voluntary. It was also learned that he took part in a military training exercise just this month.
Based on evidence found in his car, police believe Gutierrez may have shot his mother and left her for dead somewhere.
Anyone with information about the crime or the whereabouts of Martha Gutierrez is asked to call the Gilroy Police Department at (408) 846-0350.
gilroy, murder, iraq war, missing person, south bay news
- Sheriff: Suspect in Colorado school shooting dead 11 min ago
- Man survives fiery explosion at Hayward home
- EMT killed in fiery crash on I-580 remembered
- Poll: Californians gradually souring on unions
- Brisk sales raise Mega Millions jackpot to $425M
- Photos: Colorado high school shooting
- Board approves eminent domain move for train 26 min ago
- Survey: Average American leaves $177,000 to heirs 4 min ago
- Vigils to mark first anniversary of Newtown shooting
- String of water mains break overnight in Millbrae
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Saturday
- roundup: SF stabbing; Water main breaks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday