South Bay News
Baby found after murder-suicide in San Jose mall
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- They couldn't help but stop, look and stare.
People stood in a shopping center parking lot for hours on Saturday, stunned by the violence that took place there in the morning.
Police say the driver of a BMW parked, got out of his car, walked up to a woman who was standing a few feet away -- and shot her. And then he shot himself.
"The shot I heard was the shot when he shot himself," said witness Corey Rentie.
People eating inside a McDonalds and Subway ran outside to help, but it was too late.
Rentie said: "I heard a pop noise so I ran outside. I ran over by where the body was on the ground. I looked to see if he was breathing, but I didn't see his shirt moving and then I saw a group gathering around the girl on the ground."
Police are calling the case a murder-suicide. They aren't talking about a possible motive or what type of relationship the two had. But they did have one thing in common.
"We found a 17-month-old baby in one of the vehicles associated to the two individuals. Child Protective Services has the baby at this time," Captain Anthony Ciaburro of the San Jose Police Department said.
The little girl was in the back seat of the BMW when the man shot himself by the driver's side door. Police found a hand gun near his body.
" What's our society coming to? It's disgusting," said San Jose resident Danny Holt.
Anger and frustration filled many. The shopping center draws people of all ages and is geared toward families.
"A stray bullet could have hit me or my grandson as we were walking in and out of there. I don't know what to think about this. It's really, really frustrating," Holt said.
All police are saying about the man and woman is that they are both Asian.
murder, san jose, SJPD, south bay news, lisa amin gulezian
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...