South Bay News
Eighth grader beaten at SJ park dies
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- An eighth grader beaten in a neighborhood park has died. Police are asking any and all witnesses -- and there may have been many -- to come forward.
Heriberto Reyes was viciously attacked on Friday at Roosevelt Park in East San Jose. Police call the park a known gang hangout.
Officials with the school district call the death of the 14-year-old a loss to the community. Police say it was gang-related.
Investigators say most of those who witnessed the incident left the scene before police arrived. Reyes was transported to the hospital, where he remained through the weekend. He later died from his injuries.
"We believe the case is gang motivated; Roosevelt Park is an area known for a high-level of criminal street gang activity," San Jose Police Sgt. Jason Dwyer said.
Police will not say if they were able to communicate with the victim or if he was able to identify his attackers, but police said investigators are actively following leads.
Reyes attended Bernal Intermediate School in San Jose. Officials from the Oak Grove School District are calling his death a tragedy.
"Anytime that you have a young person that's taken away, it's just a tragedy for our whole community," district spokesperson Dennis Hawkins said.
It is not clear how many suspects were involved or how many people were at the park, but police did confirm that no weapons were used.
Anyone with information is asked to contact San Jose police.
crime, gang violence, san jose, south bay news
- 2 NYC buildings collapse in explosion, 2 dead 12 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos