South Bay News
Eighth grader beaten at SJ park dies
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- An eighth grader beaten in a neighborhood park has died. Police are asking any and all witnesses -- and there may have been many -- to come forward.
Heriberto Reyes was viciously attacked on Friday at Roosevelt Park in East San Jose. Police call the park a known gang hangout.
Officials with the school district call the death of the 14-year-old a loss to the community. Police say it was gang-related.
Investigators say most of those who witnessed the incident left the scene before police arrived. Reyes was transported to the hospital, where he remained through the weekend. He later died from his injuries.
"We believe the case is gang motivated; Roosevelt Park is an area known for a high-level of criminal street gang activity," San Jose Police Sgt. Jason Dwyer said.
Police will not say if they were able to communicate with the victim or if he was able to identify his attackers, but police said investigators are actively following leads.
Reyes attended Bernal Intermediate School in San Jose. Officials from the Oak Grove School District are calling his death a tragedy.
"Anytime that you have a young person that's taken away, it's just a tragedy for our whole community," district spokesperson Dennis Hawkins said.
It is not clear how many suspects were involved or how many people were at the park, but police did confirm that no weapons were used.
Anyone with information is asked to contact San Jose police.
crime, gang violence, san jose, south bay news
- Family take legal steps to keep girl on life support
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Man accused of trying to throw wife off San Mateo Bridge
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- New tech honcho for Obama health care website
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing for...
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
1 min ago