South Bay News
49ers coach backs job training program
SANTA CLARA, Calif. (KGO) -- San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh headlined a Breakfast of Champions event Friday that will benefit JobTrain, a non-profit that provides job training and career placement for free.
The organization is the only cause Harbaugh supports outside the sports world.
"I support no cause foreign nor domestic other than the greatness of the San Francisco 49ers or whatever football team that I'm playing for or coaching on except this cause," Harbaugh told the audience.
JobTrain's programs range from computer literacy classes to training in construction work.
Edison Robertson says there's no way he could afford the education JobTrain offers and he plans to take it far.
Robertson said he wants to eventually own his own construction company "and actually give back like they gave to me."
JobTrain served 8,000 people last year and placed 76 percent of those who completed the program into jobs.
Harbaugh told the crowd those are jobs to be proud of.
"I've got nothing against the white collar people out there, I've got nothing against the white collar jobs. At the San Francisco 49ers, we prefer to be blue collar," he said. "We want to do the hard work, we want to fix things!"
The executive director of JobTrain was so pleased with Harbaugh as the keynote speaker that she's already invited him back for next year.
jim harbaugh, san francisco 49ers, jobs, south bay news, amy hollyfield
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident 8 min ago
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Sandoval's single lifts Giants past Dodgers, 2-1
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Oakland A's ready to sign lease at O.co Coliseum
- Crawford's 41 points leads Warriors over Nuggets
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014 27 min ago
- San Jose Sharks holding rally to kick off playoff run 31 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos