South Bay News
Report of gun prompts lockdown at SJ high school
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- A lockdown at San Jose's Independence High School that was prompted by a report of a possible person with a gun on campus has been lifted, police said.
Officers did not locate any weapons, and students are being allowed to leave, but police will remain at the campus as school lets out, San Jose police Sgt. Jason Dwyer said.
Someone had contacted police at 9:58 a.m. to report seeing a male, possibly a student, tuck a handgun into his clothing and then walk onto the campus, located at 1776 Educational Park Drive, Dwyer said.
The school went into lockdown mode as police surrounded the campus and began searching for the suspect.
"With limited information, we have to err on the side of caution," Dwyer said of the lockdown.
The caller gave police a description of the person with the gun, and police were trying to identify him.
About 30 patrol officers were dispatched to the school, Dwyer said. At any given time, he said, there are generally between 60 and 100 patrol officers on duty in the entire city.
"This is depleting our resources in the city right now," he said early this afternoon.
Police sent out a notice shortly after 2 p.m. saying that the lockdown had been lifted.
They said several "suspects" were searched, but that officers did not find any evidence of intended violence.
san jose, school lockdown, south bay news
- Family take legal steps to keep girl on life support
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Man accused of trying to throw wife off San Mateo Bridge
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- New tech honcho for Obama health care website
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing 50 min ago
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos