South Bay News
Woman driving stolen car arrested
WATSONVILLE, Calif. -- A 24-year-old woman was arrested early this morning after being caught driving a car that had been stolen after it was left with its motor running in front of the owner's Watsonville home on Sunday, according to police.
Police received a report of a vehicle theft around 7 a.m. Sunday in the area of Berman Lane and Center Street. A man who had left his car running to "warm it up" saw a woman get into the car and drive off, police said.
At about 2:50 a.m. today, a Watsonville police officer spotted a suspicious vehicle traveling south on Walker Street near West Beach Street. He checked the car's license plate and saw that it had been reported stolen on Sunday.
Police said the officer stopped the car on Cherry Court, where a male passenger exited the vehicle and ran.
Police were unable to locate the male suspect, but the driver, Elise Johnson, 24, was arrested on suspicion of possession of stolen property and taken to Santa Cruz County Jail.
watsonville, crime, south bay news
- Security heightened at 2013 Bay to Breakers in SF
- Report: Corrosion a problem on new Bay Bridge
- NFL set to vote if Bay Area will host Super Bowl
- Tejay van Garderen wins Tour of California
- Woman suspected of starting brush fire arrested
- Man falls from building during Bay to Breakers party
- Tornado levels homes in Oklahoma City trailer park
- 2 men arrested in killing teen over iPad in Las Vegas
- Girl killed, parents hurt by shots fired into home
- Startups use Netflix rental model for clothing, jewelry
- Apps help protect your smartphone from snoops
- abcnews: SEAL auctions bin Laden raid knife
- roundup: Fairfield shooting; Redwood City fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos