South Bay News
Woman driving stolen car arrested
WATSONVILLE, Calif. -- A 24-year-old woman was arrested early this morning after being caught driving a car that had been stolen after it was left with its motor running in front of the owner's Watsonville home on Sunday, according to police.
Police received a report of a vehicle theft around 7 a.m. Sunday in the area of Berman Lane and Center Street. A man who had left his car running to "warm it up" saw a woman get into the car and drive off, police said.
At about 2:50 a.m. today, a Watsonville police officer spotted a suspicious vehicle traveling south on Walker Street near West Beach Street. He checked the car's license plate and saw that it had been reported stolen on Sunday.
Police said the officer stopped the car on Cherry Court, where a male passenger exited the vehicle and ran.
Police were unable to locate the male suspect, but the driver, Elise Johnson, 24, was arrested on suspicion of possession of stolen property and taken to Santa Cruz County Jail.
watsonville, crime, south bay news
- Target apologizes after massive data breach
- Deputy saves man after crash in Oakland
- Consumer Reports tests handheld gaming devices
- Journals show students' despair, hope
- CPUC considering fine against PG&E for faulty pipeline
- BART board approves contract with AFSCME
- Bus with 8 kids involved in crash in Livermore
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Honda tops insurance industry safety list
- DEA wages war on synthetic drugs sold on Internet
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos