South Bay News
Woman driving stolen car arrested
WATSONVILLE, Calif. -- A 24-year-old woman was arrested early this morning after being caught driving a car that had been stolen after it was left with its motor running in front of the owner's Watsonville home on Sunday, according to police.
Police received a report of a vehicle theft around 7 a.m. Sunday in the area of Berman Lane and Center Street. A man who had left his car running to "warm it up" saw a woman get into the car and drive off, police said.
At about 2:50 a.m. today, a Watsonville police officer spotted a suspicious vehicle traveling south on Walker Street near West Beach Street. He checked the car's license plate and saw that it had been reported stolen on Sunday.
Police said the officer stopped the car on Cherry Court, where a male passenger exited the vehicle and ran.
Police were unable to locate the male suspect, but the driver, Elise Johnson, 24, was arrested on suspicion of possession of stolen property and taken to Santa Cruz County Jail.
watsonville, crime, south bay news
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday