South Bay News
Suspect arrested in Sierra LaMar case
MORGAN HILL, Calif. (KGO) -- A suspect was arrested Monday night in connection with the disappearance of Morgan Hill teen Sierra LaMar. Antolin Garcia-Torres, 21, was arrested on one count of murder and one count of kidnapping.
Garcia-Torres is from Morgan Hill and is the owner of the red VW Jetta that's believed to be connected to Sierra's disappearance. Detectives seized the car earlier this month.
He was arrested around 6 p.m. at the Safeway store where he works at Tennant Ave. in Morgan Hill. Investigators questioned him for several hours and he is being held at the Santa Clara County jail.
"It was about 5:30, I was at work and we just saw a bunch of cops and guns drawn and I couldn't see anyone if they took him away. I just saw the cops, it was just cops and cop cars, it was all really fast," said Bobby Fox, a witness at Safeway.
Over the past week, investigators sorted through tips that come in after last week's episode of "America's Most Wanted" that featured Sierra's case. Some callers reported having seen the red VW Jetta.
Santa Clara County Sheriff Laurie Smith said, "He was arrested today because this is how we thought that the arrest should be done and public safety is our number one concern. We don't want anyone else hurt. We don't want any more little girls taken."
Santa Clara County Sheriff's detectives plan to hold a press conference on Tuesday morning at 8 a.m. and provide further details. The family of Sierra is expected to be there as well.
Sierra, 15, disappeared after she left for school on the morning of March 16, prompting extensive searches of the area. The KlaasKids Foundation, an organization that provides search-and-rescue services for families of missing people, have organized multiple searches.
Anyone with information on this case is asked to contact sheriff's investigators at (408) 808-4500 or call the anonymous tip line at (408) 808-4431.
missing person, santa clara county, morgan hill, sierra lamar, crime, south bay news
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City 3 min ago
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- Consumer Reports tests toothbrushes
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Two injured in accident on Almaden Expressway
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Hammer beating; SF "420" crackdown