South Bay News
Santa Cruz street reopens after PG&E stops gas leak
SANTA CRUZ, Calif. -- PG&E crews were able to stop the flow of gas through a gas line in downtown Santa Cruz that was damaged Tuesday morning, causing a gas leak and prompting an evacuation, a utility spokeswoman and fire officials said.
Santa Cruz firefighters were the first to arrive at 705 Front St., where an odor of natural gas was reported inside the building at about 11:40 a.m., according to the fire department.
Firefighters found natural gas leaking from outside the building, where contractors had been working near the gas service meters, fire officials said.
Fire crews evacuated the surrounding buildings and police shut down Front Street between Cooper Street and Soquel Avenue while PG&E crews worked to control the leak and repair the damaged gas line.
PG&E spokeswoman Monica Tell said the contractors working on the site were the cause of the leak.
"Somehow, while they were doing work, they ruptured the line," Tell said.
According to the fire department, an unknown person leaned against the gas meters, causing the meters to fall over and the gas line to sever.
Tell said PG&E crews stopped the leak at about 1:30 p.m. and that Front Street was reopened at 2:45 p.m.
Firefighters allowed people to reenter the buildings, although PG&E remained on the scene working to completely restore service to affected customers.
As of 4 p.m., a residential building, the Palomar Inn, remained without gas service. Tell said PG&E hopes to restore service to that building by 5:30 p.m.
santa cruz, PG&E, gas leak, evacuation, south bay news
- Target apologizes after massive data breach
- Deputy saves man after crash in Oakland
- Consumer Reports tests handheld gaming devices
- Journals show students' despair, hope
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed 55 min ago
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes 49 min ago
- Katie Couric's talk show to end after this season
- Four boys cited for wielding replica pistol in Hercules
- Elderly woman punched in SF purse snatching
- Pa. man wins $1M Picasso with $138 raffle ticket
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
11 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos