South Bay News
Santa Cruz street reopens after PG&E stops gas leak
SANTA CRUZ, Calif. -- PG&E crews were able to stop the flow of gas through a gas line in downtown Santa Cruz that was damaged Tuesday morning, causing a gas leak and prompting an evacuation, a utility spokeswoman and fire officials said.
Santa Cruz firefighters were the first to arrive at 705 Front St., where an odor of natural gas was reported inside the building at about 11:40 a.m., according to the fire department.
Firefighters found natural gas leaking from outside the building, where contractors had been working near the gas service meters, fire officials said.
Fire crews evacuated the surrounding buildings and police shut down Front Street between Cooper Street and Soquel Avenue while PG&E crews worked to control the leak and repair the damaged gas line.
PG&E spokeswoman Monica Tell said the contractors working on the site were the cause of the leak.
"Somehow, while they were doing work, they ruptured the line," Tell said.
According to the fire department, an unknown person leaned against the gas meters, causing the meters to fall over and the gas line to sever.
Tell said PG&E crews stopped the leak at about 1:30 p.m. and that Front Street was reopened at 2:45 p.m.
Firefighters allowed people to reenter the buildings, although PG&E remained on the scene working to completely restore service to affected customers.
As of 4 p.m., a residential building, the Palomar Inn, remained without gas service. Tell said PG&E hopes to restore service to that building by 5:30 p.m.
santa cruz, PG&E, gas leak, evacuation, south bay news
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- 10-year-old San Leandro boy found safe
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire
- Stanford grad wins big deal on "Shark Tank"
48 min ago