South Bay News
Dive teams re-scan reservoir for Sierra LaMar
MORGAN HILL, Calif. (KGO) -- A Santa Clara County sheriff's team is re-scanning the Chesbro Reservoir near Morgan Hill, for a second day, looking for evidence of missing teenager Sierra LaMar.
Investigators are hoping the new side-scan sonar equipment might uncover new evidence in their kidnapping and murder case. Today's search, however, is not based on any new tips or leads. The 15-year-old Morgan Hill girl disappeared three months ago on her way to school and has not been found. Antolin Garcia-Torres is charged with kidnapping and killing her based on DNA evidence collected so far.
And authorities say a Facebook post supposedly made last night by Sierra LaMar is a hoax. The post contains a Saratoga address, along with the message "please call police he's coming back." The Santa Clara Sheriff's office says the address doesn't exist, it was invented by somebody who hacked the girl's account. This isn't the first time somebody has sent out a fake message from LaMar. Outsiders gained access to her Twitter account twice in April.
missing person, santa clara county, morgan hill, sierra lamar, crime, murder, south bay news
- Santa Cruz police arrest crime plot mastermind
- Thieves target True Religion jeans
- I-5 bridge collapse raises Bay Area safety questions
- Damage reported after 5.7 quake in Greenville
- Police position DUI checkpoints in unsuspecting areas
- Limos without valid permits listed on airport website
- Shift in tactics may be helping Oakland police
- 3-D printer helps save dying baby with rare disease
- Lawmakers want to restore dental care to Medi-Cal
- Walnut Creek student dies after brain hemorrhage
- NASA Ames focusing on advanced manufacturing
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO scolded by 9-year-old
- roundup: Bicyclist killed ID'd; Unsolved murder
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday