South Bay News
Person waiting at bus stop fatally struck by car
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. (KGO) -- An investigation is under way after a car hit and killed a pedestrian waiting at a VTA bus stop in Mountain View Thursday morning.
The man was standing near the bus shelter at California Street at Escuela Avenue when he was mowed down by a fast-moving late model Audi going eastbound. It's a busy intersection where people in the area say a lot of drivers go way too fast.
Witnesses say the car was speeding and possibly going twice the speed limit. "We received multiple calls from passersbys about a vehicle that had struck a pedestrian here on the corner of California and Escuela Avenue," Mountain View police spokesperson Jaime Garrett said.
There were no skid marks on the pavement that would indicate sudden braking. The late-model Audi appeared to have jumped the curb, hit the man, and continued moving along the sidewalk leaving a deep rut in the grass. The car spun around and stopped about a thousand feet later. The impact bent two sign posts level to the ground and also took out one end of the bus shelter.
The person driving the car was injured and was transported to a hospital for treatment.
Police and fire department personnel cordoned off a three to four-block wide area and there was still an active investigation under way 6.5 hours later as authorities interviewed witnesses abd worked to chart out the exact path of the car and where the man was hit.
Police have not released the names of the victim or the driver.
mountain view, VTA, crash, pedestrian struck, south bay news, david louie
- 3 detained following chase in SF officer shooting 42 min ago
- Pedestrian fatally struck by SUV on NB Highway 880 24 min ago
- PM: Won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land 3 min ago
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case
- 3 detained following chase in SF officer...
42 min ago
- Object spotted may be part of missing...
52 min ago