South Bay News
Person waiting at bus stop fatally struck by car
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. (KGO) -- An investigation is under way after a car hit and killed a pedestrian waiting at a VTA bus stop in Mountain View Thursday morning.
The man was standing near the bus shelter at California Street at Escuela Avenue when he was mowed down by a fast-moving late model Audi going eastbound. It's a busy intersection where people in the area say a lot of drivers go way too fast.
Witnesses say the car was speeding and possibly going twice the speed limit. "We received multiple calls from passersbys about a vehicle that had struck a pedestrian here on the corner of California and Escuela Avenue," Mountain View police spokesperson Jaime Garrett said.
There were no skid marks on the pavement that would indicate sudden braking. The late-model Audi appeared to have jumped the curb, hit the man, and continued moving along the sidewalk leaving a deep rut in the grass. The car spun around and stopped about a thousand feet later. The impact bent two sign posts level to the ground and also took out one end of the bus shelter.
The person driving the car was injured and was transported to a hospital for treatment.
Police and fire department personnel cordoned off a three to four-block wide area and there was still an active investigation under way 6.5 hours later as authorities interviewed witnesses abd worked to chart out the exact path of the car and where the man was hit.
Police have not released the names of the victim or the driver.
mountain view, VTA, crash, pedestrian struck, south bay news, david louie
- Injunction filed to keep Jahi McMath on life support 8 min ago
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Garbage truck fatally strikes man in Tenderloin
- Car crashes into San Jose home this morning
- SFFD battle 1-alarm blaze near the Panhandle
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal 53 min ago
- '628' area code to begin in '415' region in 2015
- VIRAL VIDEO: Oscars® Trailer: Ellen...
- abcnews: Dancing doctor gets tickets to Beyonce show
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: CPUC fines PG&E; Homeless memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Injunction filed to keep Jahi McMath on...
8 min ago
- Stores to stay open around the clock before...
58 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos