South Bay News
Person waiting at bus stop fatally struck by car
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. (KGO) -- An investigation is under way after a car hit and killed a pedestrian waiting at a VTA bus stop in Mountain View Thursday morning.
The man was standing near the bus shelter at California Street at Escuela Avenue when he was mowed down by a fast-moving late model Audi going eastbound. It's a busy intersection where people in the area say a lot of drivers go way too fast.
Witnesses say the car was speeding and possibly going twice the speed limit. "We received multiple calls from passersbys about a vehicle that had struck a pedestrian here on the corner of California and Escuela Avenue," Mountain View police spokesperson Jaime Garrett said.
There were no skid marks on the pavement that would indicate sudden braking. The late-model Audi appeared to have jumped the curb, hit the man, and continued moving along the sidewalk leaving a deep rut in the grass. The car spun around and stopped about a thousand feet later. The impact bent two sign posts level to the ground and also took out one end of the bus shelter.
The person driving the car was injured and was transported to a hospital for treatment.
Police and fire department personnel cordoned off a three to four-block wide area and there was still an active investigation under way 6.5 hours later as authorities interviewed witnesses abd worked to chart out the exact path of the car and where the man was hit.
Police have not released the names of the victim or the driver.
mountain view, VTA, crash, pedestrian struck, south bay news, david louie
- I-5 bridge collapse raises Bay Area safety questions
- Damage reported after 5.7 quake in Greenville
- Limos without valid permits listed on airport website
- Shift in tactics may be helping Oakland police
- No charges in Starbucks orange juice case
- 3-D printer helps save dying baby with rare disease
- Lawmakers want to restore dental care to Medi-Cal
- Walnut Creek student dies after brain hemorrhage
- NASA Ames focusing on advanced manufacturing
- I-5 bridge collapse caused by truck hitting span
- Get Free Stuff: Challenge butter; Shoe laces
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO scolded by 9-year-old
- roundup: Bicyclist killed ID'd; Unsolved murder
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday