South Bay News
Person waiting at bus stop fatally struck by car
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. (KGO) -- An investigation is under way after a car hit and killed a pedestrian waiting at a VTA bus stop in Mountain View Thursday morning.
The man was standing near the bus shelter at California Street at Escuela Avenue when he was mowed down by a fast-moving late model Audi going eastbound. It's a busy intersection where people in the area say a lot of drivers go way too fast.
Witnesses say the car was speeding and possibly going twice the speed limit. "We received multiple calls from passersbys about a vehicle that had struck a pedestrian here on the corner of California and Escuela Avenue," Mountain View police spokesperson Jaime Garrett said.
There were no skid marks on the pavement that would indicate sudden braking. The late-model Audi appeared to have jumped the curb, hit the man, and continued moving along the sidewalk leaving a deep rut in the grass. The car spun around and stopped about a thousand feet later. The impact bent two sign posts level to the ground and also took out one end of the bus shelter.
The person driving the car was injured and was transported to a hospital for treatment.
Police and fire department personnel cordoned off a three to four-block wide area and there was still an active investigation under way 6.5 hours later as authorities interviewed witnesses abd worked to chart out the exact path of the car and where the man was hit.
Police have not released the names of the victim or the driver.
mountain view, VTA, crash, pedestrian struck, south bay news, david louie
- SF firefighters continue to monitor 5-alarm fire
- FBI searching for Bay Area bombing suspect in Hawaii 7 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos