South Bay News
CHP shoots suspect after car chase in Sunnyvale
SUNNYVALE, Calif. -- A California Highway Patrol officer shot and wounded a suspect after a car chase that ended in Sunnyvale early Thursday morning, a Sunnyvale police spokesman said.
The CHP was pursuing a vehicle on U.S. Highway 101 when the chase went onto city streets at about 1:30 a.m., Sunnyvale Department of Public Safety Capt. Dave Verbrugge said. The car being chased stopped in the 300 block of Alturas Avenue and an altercation ensued, Verbrugge said. The CHP officer, fearing for his life, drew his firearm and shot the suspect, according to Verbrugge. The suspect was taken to a hospital for treatment. Verbrugge did not know his condition. Verbrugge said the Sunnyvale Department of Public Safety is investigating the shooting, as it occurred within city limits. As of late this morning, the block where the shooting happened remained closed because of the investigation.
sunnyvale, crime, police chase, CHP, shooting, south bay news
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Investigators reconstruct bus crash in California
- Another woman reported missing on Mt. Tam
- San Leandro High teacher arrested for sex with minor
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- All 29 defendants in corruption case appear in court 39 min ago
- Man fined $525 for refilling drink without paying
- Chelsea Clinton expecting first child
- Ryu pitches Dodgers past Giants 2-1 to avoid sweep
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: SF plastic bag ban; Boy killed in Antioch
- All 29 defendants in corruption case appear...
39 min ago