South Bay News
CHP shoots suspect after car chase in Sunnyvale
SUNNYVALE, Calif. -- A California Highway Patrol officer shot and wounded a suspect after a car chase that ended in Sunnyvale early Thursday morning, a Sunnyvale police spokesman said.
The CHP was pursuing a vehicle on U.S. Highway 101 when the chase went onto city streets at about 1:30 a.m., Sunnyvale Department of Public Safety Capt. Dave Verbrugge said. The car being chased stopped in the 300 block of Alturas Avenue and an altercation ensued, Verbrugge said. The CHP officer, fearing for his life, drew his firearm and shot the suspect, according to Verbrugge. The suspect was taken to a hospital for treatment. Verbrugge did not know his condition. Verbrugge said the Sunnyvale Department of Public Safety is investigating the shooting, as it occurred within city limits. As of late this morning, the block where the shooting happened remained closed because of the investigation.
sunnyvale, crime, police chase, CHP, shooting, south bay news
- Only On 7: In-depth look into the life of drug dealers
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash 49 min ago
- Police interview potential victims of Livermore golf pro
- Budget approved but no peace: Boehner raps right
- VIRAL VIDEO: Teen sings 'Blue Christmas'...
- Arrests made in "thrill kill" of 7-11 clerk in Milpitas
- Startup sells insurance based on how much you drive
- Tracking the flu -- there's an app for that!
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART, unions
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Friday 38 min ago
- roundup: High-speed chase; Vallejo homicides
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
40 min ago