South Bay News
Friends raise money for man found unconscious
MORGAN HIL, Calif. (KGO) -- A mysterious case of injury in the South Bay has left a man in a coma. Police suspect Joshua Valdez was the victim of a hit-and-run accident over the weekend at Butterfield Boulevard and San Pedro Avenue, but no one witnessed a crash.
"It's hard to see him like that, all bruised up; he's got road rash all over his back and his neck is broke," Josh's mother Stacie Valdez said.
No one knows exactly what happened early Saturday morning after midnight. Valdez was walking through a Morgan Hill intersection when police think he was hit by a car. Officers happened to see him as they drove by. He was unconscious.
"He was laying there for what we think, just under an hour from the time of the incident to when we located him; horrible," Morgan Hill Police Sgt. Troy Hoefling said.
It's a thought that's breaking his family's heart.
"Whoever did this or is involved or if anyone saw anything, nobody cared enough for a human life that had been possibly lost or damaged to say anything," Valdez's sister Amanda Arms said.
The lack of action Saturday night is prompting Valdez's friends to act. They're gathering support from where ever they can find it. In small businesses in Morgan Hill, donation jars are set up and signs and flyers are posted. Anyone with any information about Saturday is asked to call police.
"I do think it's very important for all members of this community to step in and help when something like this happens," Holly Horner said.
But Valdez's family members don't just want answers, they also need money. Neither the 22-year-old nor his mother has health insurance. Valdez's friends are selling t-shirts, homemade bracelets and they set up a donation page, anything to help pay for his mounting hospital bills.
"It's a horrible, horrible situation all around; his family is struggling with money," friend Joshua Diget said. "He's had a rough time and he deserves as much help as he can get."
There will be a prayer vigil and fundraiser for Valdez on Tuesday night.
morgan hill, hit and run, south bay news, lisa amin gulezian
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- San Francisco officer injured in crash after pursuit
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster climbs to 36 23 min ago
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- Crews search for person after boat accident in Brentwood 43 min ago
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland 2 min ago
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Brother of man killed by drunk driver throws first pitch 36 min ago
- Young Oakland woman dies at Coachella music fest
- Scratch lotto ticket bought in Milpitas worth $1.3M
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage 23 min ago
- Brentwood police investigate armed robbery spree
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster...
23 min ago