South Bay News
Friends raise money for man found unconscious
MORGAN HIL, Calif. (KGO) -- A mysterious case of injury in the South Bay has left a man in a coma. Police suspect Joshua Valdez was the victim of a hit-and-run accident over the weekend at Butterfield Boulevard and San Pedro Avenue, but no one witnessed a crash.
"It's hard to see him like that, all bruised up; he's got road rash all over his back and his neck is broke," Josh's mother Stacie Valdez said.
No one knows exactly what happened early Saturday morning after midnight. Valdez was walking through a Morgan Hill intersection when police think he was hit by a car. Officers happened to see him as they drove by. He was unconscious.
"He was laying there for what we think, just under an hour from the time of the incident to when we located him; horrible," Morgan Hill Police Sgt. Troy Hoefling said.
It's a thought that's breaking his family's heart.
"Whoever did this or is involved or if anyone saw anything, nobody cared enough for a human life that had been possibly lost or damaged to say anything," Valdez's sister Amanda Arms said.
The lack of action Saturday night is prompting Valdez's friends to act. They're gathering support from where ever they can find it. In small businesses in Morgan Hill, donation jars are set up and signs and flyers are posted. Anyone with any information about Saturday is asked to call police.
"I do think it's very important for all members of this community to step in and help when something like this happens," Holly Horner said.
But Valdez's family members don't just want answers, they also need money. Neither the 22-year-old nor his mother has health insurance. Valdez's friends are selling t-shirts, homemade bracelets and they set up a donation page, anything to help pay for his mounting hospital bills.
"It's a horrible, horrible situation all around; his family is struggling with money," friend Joshua Diget said. "He's had a rough time and he deserves as much help as he can get."
There will be a prayer vigil and fundraiser for Valdez on Tuesday night.
morgan hill, hit and run, south bay news, lisa amin gulezian
- SJ store owner get $1M for selling winning ticket
- Family to hold prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- Georgia woman has 1 of 2 winning lottery tickets
- Richmond council votes for foreclosure prevention plan
- Online retailers take part in Free Shipping Day 34 min ago
- Food bank hands out hundreds of hams to families
- 'Mary Poppins' among 25 US films to be preserved 55 min ago
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Stolen ATM recovered; SF shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday