South Bay News
SV police to press charges against car chase suspect
SUNNYVALE, Calif. -- Authorities in Sunnyvale plan to press charges against a man suspected of driving under the influence on Thursday morning who was shot by a California Highway Patrol officer within city limits.
Sunnyvale's Department of Public Safety is investigating the officer-involved shooting that took place in the 200 block of Alturas Avenue at about 1:30 a.m. after a brief vehicle pursuit that originated on U.S. Highway 101.
James Ligon, 34, of Sunnyvale, was injured in the shooting. Public safety officials said the department plans to seek charges against Ligon for threatening or violently resisting an officer, evasion, and violation of probation.
According to the Department of Public Safety, CHP Officers Joe Lafauci and Cory Walczak initiated the pursuit after suspecting Ligon was driving drunk and Ligon failed to yield to the CHP.
The chase moved from the freeway to Mathilda Avenue and onto residential streets, with Ligon stopping his vehicle on Alturas Avenue just a block from his home, public safety officials said.
Ligon was shot after exiting his vehicle. One of the CHP officers, fearing for his life, drew his firearm and shot Ligon, according to public safety officials.
Ligon was taken to a hospital for surgery, and public safety officials reported today that Ligon was last known to be in stable condition. Lafauci has been with the CHP for one year, and Walczak has been with the force for two years.
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact public safety officials at (408) 730-7120.
sunnyvale, CHP, south bay news
- Water main break floods Castro Valley neighborhood
- Four people in the South Bay die due to cold weather
- North Korea deports elderly Palo Alto man
- Cal students led move toward divestment
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Local schools race to keep up with technology
- Man suspected of throwing 2 cats into bay arrested
- Make-A-Wish, Macy's team up to help Daly City girl
- New option studied for treating back pain
- SF man calls 7 On Your Side to help in luggage mixup
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Teen struck in crosswalk; EPA shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday