South Bay News
Home near SJSU damaged in fire
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- A two-story Victorian home caught fire in San Jose Thursday night. The flames could be seen for miles and it was so intense, surrounding streets had to be blocked off.
The fire began around 8:30 p.m. at a home on Seventh Street happened just steps from south side of the San Jose State University campus, near the campus police department and the event center.
By the time fire crews arrived, the house was burning on the first and second floors and through the roof. There was a lot of smoke; it spread throughout a four block radius.
Once fire fighters arrived, they had to attack the fire from the outside and from up above. In the meantime, about 50 people from neighboring apartments and homes were forced to evacuate.
The fire department says no other homes or apartments were damaged in the fire.
The owner of that house says she was doing a lot of renovations on the house and she had just installed brand new electrical wiring. She planned to start renting it out next week. She believes someone broke in and intentionally started this fire.
Fire officials have called in arson investigators. They say it's too early to tell what happened since no one that they know of was inside the house.
Seventh Street between William and San Salvador streets will be closed for the rest of the night.
san jose, SJSU, fire, south bay news, lisa amin gulezian
- Boy drowns after falling into canal in Antioch 7 min ago
- Search on for man who went missing after B2B race
- Scouts honor veterans at annual Memorial Day event 58 min ago
- Hundreds of food workers strike at AT&T Park in SF
- Angel Pagan wins it for SF Giants with inside-the-park HR
- Wildfire near Interstate 580 in Livermore now contained
- San Antonio flooding kills one; 200-plus rescued 40 min ago
- UK police arrest 3 more men in soldier's slaying
- Missing elderly Palo Alto woman with Alzheimer's found
- San Francisco man with brain injury missing
- Millions march against Monsanto in over 400 cities
- abcnews: How to stay safe at amusement parks
- roundup: Machete murder; PG&E fights fine
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday 34 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
31 min ago
- Scouts honor veterans at annual Memorial...
58 min ago