South Bay News
Home near SJSU damaged in fire
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- A two-story Victorian home caught fire in San Jose Thursday night. The flames could be seen for miles and it was so intense, surrounding streets had to be blocked off.
The fire began around 8:30 p.m. at a home on Seventh Street happened just steps from south side of the San Jose State University campus, near the campus police department and the event center.
By the time fire crews arrived, the house was burning on the first and second floors and through the roof. There was a lot of smoke; it spread throughout a four block radius.
Once fire fighters arrived, they had to attack the fire from the outside and from up above. In the meantime, about 50 people from neighboring apartments and homes were forced to evacuate.
The fire department says no other homes or apartments were damaged in the fire.
The owner of that house says she was doing a lot of renovations on the house and she had just installed brand new electrical wiring. She planned to start renting it out next week. She believes someone broke in and intentionally started this fire.
Fire officials have called in arson investigators. They say it's too early to tell what happened since no one that they know of was inside the house.
Seventh Street between William and San Salvador streets will be closed for the rest of the night.
san jose, SJSU, fire, south bay news, lisa amin gulezian
- Crews fix broken water main in SF's Lower Haight 9 min ago
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- Wounded police officer back in surgery
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond 7 min ago
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on Force rashes
- 5-year-old boy, babysitter struck by car in crosswalk
- Stars raise money for SF children's hospital
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
6 min ago