South Bay News
San Jose warns residents about illegal fireworks
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- San Jose police and fire departments are warning residents to not use illegal fireworks on the 4th of July. Not only could it land you in jail, there's a real risk of sparking a brush fire.
"Fireworks are illegal in the city of San Jose and there could be a large fine and or jail time associated with it. It is a recipe for disaster especially when you are playing with fireworks right next to the dry grass," said San Jose Fire Dept. Capt. Victor Polverino.
In South San Jose near Capitol Expressway and Highway 101 there was a grass fire Monday night that burned next to a number of homes. Firefighters say they found evidence of fireworks near the scene. Neighbors said they saw kids lighting off fireworks and then running when the grass caught fire. That fire was knocked down before it did any damage.
"We want residents to use 311 to report fireworks calls if it has actually not caused an injury or if there isn't a fire. We are asking for that early 911 activation if there is an actual injury or a fire as a result of fireworks or any other reason," said San Jose Fire Department Capt. Mary Gutierrez.
san jose, 4th of july, fire, 4th of july event, south bay news, terry mcsweeney
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident 12 min ago
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Sandoval's single lifts Giants past Dodgers, 2-1
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Oakland A's ready to sign lease at O.co Coliseum
- Crawford's 41 points leads Warriors over Nuggets
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014 31 min ago
- San Jose Sharks holding rally to kick off playoff run 35 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos