South Bay News
San Jose warns residents about illegal fireworks
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- San Jose police and fire departments are warning residents to not use illegal fireworks on the 4th of July. Not only could it land you in jail, there's a real risk of sparking a brush fire.
"Fireworks are illegal in the city of San Jose and there could be a large fine and or jail time associated with it. It is a recipe for disaster especially when you are playing with fireworks right next to the dry grass," said San Jose Fire Dept. Capt. Victor Polverino.
In South San Jose near Capitol Expressway and Highway 101 there was a grass fire Monday night that burned next to a number of homes. Firefighters say they found evidence of fireworks near the scene. Neighbors said they saw kids lighting off fireworks and then running when the grass caught fire. That fire was knocked down before it did any damage.
"We want residents to use 311 to report fireworks calls if it has actually not caused an injury or if there isn't a fire. We are asking for that early 911 activation if there is an actual injury or a fire as a result of fireworks or any other reason," said San Jose Fire Department Capt. Mary Gutierrez.
san jose, 4th of july, fire, 4th of july event, south bay news, terry mcsweeney
- Amber Alert canceled for child from Long Beach
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires
- Two hospitalized after acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Investigators to speak with shot San Francisco officer
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan 5 min ago
- Local entrepreneur facing domestic violence charges 35 min ago
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- Stolen EBMUD truck found in Castro Valley
- Barry Bonds back in Giants uniform as camp coach
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday 27 min ago
- roundup: Fremont fires; Crash victim ID'd
- Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
7 min ago
- False hopes dismay in search for missing jet
23 min ago
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop...
5 min ago