South Bay News
San Jose warns residents about illegal fireworks
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- San Jose police and fire departments are warning residents to not use illegal fireworks on the 4th of July. Not only could it land you in jail, there's a real risk of sparking a brush fire.
"Fireworks are illegal in the city of San Jose and there could be a large fine and or jail time associated with it. It is a recipe for disaster especially when you are playing with fireworks right next to the dry grass," said San Jose Fire Dept. Capt. Victor Polverino.
In South San Jose near Capitol Expressway and Highway 101 there was a grass fire Monday night that burned next to a number of homes. Firefighters say they found evidence of fireworks near the scene. Neighbors said they saw kids lighting off fireworks and then running when the grass caught fire. That fire was knocked down before it did any damage.
"We want residents to use 311 to report fireworks calls if it has actually not caused an injury or if there isn't a fire. We are asking for that early 911 activation if there is an actual injury or a fire as a result of fireworks or any other reason," said San Jose Fire Department Capt. Mary Gutierrez.
san jose, 4th of july, fire, 4th of july event, south bay news, terry mcsweeney
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect arrested 35 min ago
- One injured in apartment fire near San Jose State 20 min ago
- 'Legends of Candlestick' to return for final game
- Stanford patient denied liver due to medical marijuana
- Afghanistan hospital guard kills three American doctors
- Batteries in baby video monitors recalled
- Scientists locate 19th century steamship in SF Bay
- Apple increases stock buyback, will split stock
- State senators get ethics training after scandals
- 5-year-old Oakland boy shot in eye with paintball gun
- Six Flags welcoms first seal pup born at park in 8 years 24 min ago
- 7OYS helps woman get refund from alumni company
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Body found at dump; Bicycle Share expansion
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect...
35 min ago