South Bay News
San Jose warns residents about illegal fireworks
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- San Jose police and fire departments are warning residents to not use illegal fireworks on the 4th of July. Not only could it land you in jail, there's a real risk of sparking a brush fire.
"Fireworks are illegal in the city of San Jose and there could be a large fine and or jail time associated with it. It is a recipe for disaster especially when you are playing with fireworks right next to the dry grass," said San Jose Fire Dept. Capt. Victor Polverino.
In South San Jose near Capitol Expressway and Highway 101 there was a grass fire Monday night that burned next to a number of homes. Firefighters say they found evidence of fireworks near the scene. Neighbors said they saw kids lighting off fireworks and then running when the grass caught fire. That fire was knocked down before it did any damage.
"We want residents to use 311 to report fireworks calls if it has actually not caused an injury or if there isn't a fire. We are asking for that early 911 activation if there is an actual injury or a fire as a result of fireworks or any other reason," said San Jose Fire Department Capt. Mary Gutierrez.
san jose, 4th of july, fire, 4th of july event, south bay news, terry mcsweeney
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school 18 min ago
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate 50 min ago
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained 12 min ago
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
18 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos