South Bay News
3-year-old son of police officer fatally shot
GILROY, Calif. -- The 3-year-old son of a San Jose police officer was shot and killed in Gilroy Thursday evening, according to police.
Officers responded to reports of at toddler who was shot at a home in the 7500 block of Kentwood Court just before 5 p.m., according to the Gilroy Police Department.
Paramedics immediately began treating the boy for life-threatening injuries, but he was pronounced dead on the way to a hospital, police said.
A preliminary investigation revealed that the boy had been shot with a handgun, police said. The boy was in his own home and family members were home at the time.
An investigation into the incident was under way by Gilroy police, the Santa Clara County District Attorney's Office and the Santa Clara County medical examiner's office.
The investigation will involve how firearms were stored at the residence, police said.
shooting, child death, children, guns, gilroy, SJPD, south bay news
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- San Francisco officer injured in crash after pursuit
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster climbs to 36
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- Crews search for person after boat accident in Brentwood 51 min ago
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Brother of man killed by drunk driver throws first pitch 1 min ago
- Young Oakland woman dies at Coachella music fest
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter 28 min ago
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday