South Bay News
3-year-old son of police officer fatally shot
GILROY, Calif. -- The 3-year-old son of a San Jose police officer was shot and killed in Gilroy Thursday evening, according to police.
Officers responded to reports of at toddler who was shot at a home in the 7500 block of Kentwood Court just before 5 p.m., according to the Gilroy Police Department.
Paramedics immediately began treating the boy for life-threatening injuries, but he was pronounced dead on the way to a hospital, police said.
A preliminary investigation revealed that the boy had been shot with a handgun, police said. The boy was in his own home and family members were home at the time.
An investigation into the incident was under way by Gilroy police, the Santa Clara County District Attorney's Office and the Santa Clara County medical examiner's office.
The investigation will involve how firearms were stored at the residence, police said.
shooting, child death, children, guns, gilroy, SJPD, south bay news
- Security heightened at 2013 Bay to Breakers in SF
- Report: Corrosion a problem on new Bay Bridge
- Tejay van Garderen wins Tour of California
- NFL set to vote if Bay Area will host Super Bowl
- Martinez police treating brush fire as crime scene
- Man falls from building during Bay to Breakers party
- Tornado levels homes in Oklahoma City trailer park
- 2 men arrested in killing teen over iPad in Las Vegas
- Girl killed, parents hurt by shots fired into home
- Startups use Netflix rental model for clothing, jewelry 49 min ago
- Apps help protect your smartphone from snoops 16 min ago
- abcnews: SEAL auctions bin Laden raid knife
- roundup: Fairfield shooting; Redwood City fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos