South Bay News
3-year-old son of police officer fatally shot
GILROY, Calif. -- The 3-year-old son of a San Jose police officer was shot and killed in Gilroy Thursday evening, according to police.
Officers responded to reports of at toddler who was shot at a home in the 7500 block of Kentwood Court just before 5 p.m., according to the Gilroy Police Department.
Paramedics immediately began treating the boy for life-threatening injuries, but he was pronounced dead on the way to a hospital, police said.
A preliminary investigation revealed that the boy had been shot with a handgun, police said. The boy was in his own home and family members were home at the time.
An investigation into the incident was under way by Gilroy police, the Santa Clara County District Attorney's Office and the Santa Clara County medical examiner's office.
The investigation will involve how firearms were stored at the residence, police said.
shooting, child death, children, guns, gilroy, SJPD, south bay news
- Family take legal steps to keep girl on life support
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Man accused of trying to throw wife off San Mateo Bridge
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- New tech honcho for Obama health care website
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing for...
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos