South Bay News
Inmate escapes from jail in Santa Cruz
SANTA CRUZ, Calif. -- An inmate escaped from a medium security jail outside Watsonville Thursday night and was discovered missing the next morning, according to the Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Office.
According to the sheriff's deputies, at approximately 11 p.m. Thursday, inmate Richard Sasse, 28, escaped from the Santa Cruz Medium Jail Facility, known as Rountree Detention Facilities, in an unincorporated area of Santa Cruz County.
Sasse was discovered missing when a correctional officer did an inmate headcount at around 11 a.m. Friday, deputies said.
Through further investigation, the sheriff's office learned that Sasse was part of a cleaning crew in the jail's inmate cafeteria and was able to escape through the kitchen after manipulating a locked door.
When the inmate was discovered missing, the sheriff's office put out an alert to all law enforcement in the area.
The sheriff's office is continuing to search for Sasse.
Before Sasse escaped, he was in custody awaiting sentencing for carjacking, burglary, armed robbery, possession of narcotics, carrying a concealed weapon and possession of a firearm.
The sheriff's office said Sasse is fluent in English and Spanish and they believe that he may be heading to Mexico or Washington, where he has family.
Sasse is described as 6 feet tall, 155 pounds, with brown medium-length hair and blue eyes. He was last seen wearing jail issued tan pants, a tan shirt and a green sweatshirt.
santa cruz, inmates, south bay news
- Boy's body found at the bottom of a canal in Antioch 4 min ago
- Search on for man who went missing after B2B race 50 min ago
- Hundreds of food workers strike at AT&T Park in SF 52 min ago
- Sharks look to extend series vs. Kings to 7th game
- Elderly woman with Alzheimer's missing in Palo Alto
- UK police arrest 3 more men in soldier's slaying
- PG&E disputes record fine for San Bruno blast
- San Francisco man with brain injury missing
- Millions march against Monsanto in over 400 cities
- Wildfire near Interstate 580 in Livermore now contained 45 min ago
- Limos without valid permits listed on airport website
- abcnews: How to stay safe at amusement parks
- roundup: Machete murder; PG&E fights fine
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday