South Bay News
Young boy hit by car dies at hospital
CUPERTINO, Calif. -- A 5-year-old boy died late Tuesday night after a driver accidentally backed a car into him in Cupertino on Tuesday evening, sheriff's officials said.
The accident occurred around 7:15 p.m. when a man in his 30s who was backing out of a driveway hit the boy as he rode his scooter in the 20200 block of Vista Court, according to the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office.
Deputies and medical personnel arrived at the scene to find the boy conscious and still breathing, and transported him to a hospital, sheriff's officials said.
At 11:45 p.m. Tuesday, the sheriff's office learned that the boy had succumbed to his injuries.
The driver is cooperating with the investigation, and is not believed to have been under the influence of drugs or alcohol, according to the sheriff's office.
The medical examiner's office and the sheriff's traffic accident reconstruction team are investigating the death.
cupertino, child death, children, pedestrian struck, south bay news
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire 12 min ago
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420" 31 min ago
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Oakland A's ready to sign lease at O.co Coliseum
- Report: 1 dead in boat accident near Redwood City
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Sandoval's single lifts Giants past Dodgers, 2-1 4 min ago
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- San Jose Sharks holding rally to kick off playoff run 55 min ago
- WWI soldier's love letters found behind attic wall
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
14 min ago
- Video shows burglar prowling in baby's room
23 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos