South Bay News
Young boy hit by car dies at hospital
CUPERTINO, Calif. -- A 5-year-old boy died late Tuesday night after a driver accidentally backed a car into him in Cupertino on Tuesday evening, sheriff's officials said.
The accident occurred around 7:15 p.m. when a man in his 30s who was backing out of a driveway hit the boy as he rode his scooter in the 20200 block of Vista Court, according to the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office.
Deputies and medical personnel arrived at the scene to find the boy conscious and still breathing, and transported him to a hospital, sheriff's officials said.
At 11:45 p.m. Tuesday, the sheriff's office learned that the boy had succumbed to his injuries.
The driver is cooperating with the investigation, and is not believed to have been under the influence of drugs or alcohol, according to the sheriff's office.
The medical examiner's office and the sheriff's traffic accident reconstruction team are investigating the death.
cupertino, child death, children, pedestrian struck, south bay news
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- Man hit by tour bus on 7th, Mission streets in SF
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- SF burger joint open nearly 50 years about to close
- Sunday marks anniversary of Sierra LaMar's disappearance
- Police conduct statewide underage drinking sting
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco 53 min ago
- Campaign to save dog in Arizona mauling case
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified 50 min ago
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' tops box office 34 min ago
- Niemi, Couture lift surging Sharks over Rangers
- VIRAL VIDEO: Harbaugh does push-ups with... 20 min ago
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing 40 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos