South Bay News
Young boy hit by car dies at hospital
CUPERTINO, Calif. -- A 5-year-old boy died late Tuesday night after a driver accidentally backed a car into him in Cupertino on Tuesday evening, sheriff's officials said.
The accident occurred around 7:15 p.m. when a man in his 30s who was backing out of a driveway hit the boy as he rode his scooter in the 20200 block of Vista Court, according to the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office.
Deputies and medical personnel arrived at the scene to find the boy conscious and still breathing, and transported him to a hospital, sheriff's officials said.
At 11:45 p.m. Tuesday, the sheriff's office learned that the boy had succumbed to his injuries.
The driver is cooperating with the investigation, and is not believed to have been under the influence of drugs or alcohol, according to the sheriff's office.
The medical examiner's office and the sheriff's traffic accident reconstruction team are investigating the death.
cupertino, child death, children, pedestrian struck, south bay news
- Recology plant fire creates heavy smoke in SF
- Frigid Bay Area weather takes deadly turn
- Only On 7: Federal drug agents sweep Tenderloin
- Protesters halt Google's commuter bus in SF
- Man held in N. Korea say statement was coerced
- Female teacher arrested for sexually abusing student
- As student, Obama drew inspiration from Mandela
- Police seeking man who went missing from care home
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face criminal charges
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Rising tides; Teen shot in SF
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos