South Bay News
SJ crews clear homeless out of Kelley Park
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- San Jose city officials cleared out a homeless camp Thursday morning. They issued eviction notices earlier this week because of concerns about health and safety issues, and the risk of fires in Kelley Park.
There have been fires in the park, but that isn't the reason San Jose social services moved in Thursday to help homeless people in the Coyote Creek area near the park transition to a safer place. The area is flat, open, and near a creek so a lot of people go to the area. They haven't been bothered until recently when the city of San Jose, for environmental, social, and health reasons put up signs saying they would be moving everyone out.
"We've been working very carefully with other partners, EHC LifeBuilders for example, who are involved with homeless services, so we can connect people out here in the encampments with alternative housing, other services that will help them get into a better path," said San Jose Communications Director David Vossbrink.
"I just know it was probably because of the fires and people, they aren't taking care of it," said Terry Renner, who is homeless. "We cleaned up the whole area over here on this side, but this side's disgusting. So, I see why they kicked us out."
They started clearing people and their belongings out of the area around 9 a.m. and were mostly finished by 11 a.m. San Jose police were present, but the process went off without a hitch.
san jose, fire, homeless, south bay news, terry mcsweeney
- Secret Service investigating big Target data breach 10 min ago
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Journals show students' despair, hope
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed
- Another mistake found in BART union contract
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos