South Bay News
Burglar shoots resident, flees with stolen property
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- A man was shot inside his home by a burglar in a rural hilly area east of San Jose early Friday morning, a Santa Clara County sheriff's spokesman said.
County emergency dispatchers received the 911 call at 2:42 a.m. from the victim inside his home in the 3800 block of Higuera Road, sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Jose Cardoza said.
The victim was asleep when he heard someone going through his property. He awoke to see a man with a dark hoodie inside his home. The suspect then confronted the victim and shot him once in the arm, Cardoza said.
The suspect fled the scene, taking some of the victim's property with him, Cardoza said.
Sheriff's deputies responded and found the man with a bullet wound in his arm. The victim, a man in his late 50s, was transported to a hospital and is expected to survive, Cardoza said.
Sheriff's deputies have not identified a motive and no weapon has been recovered.
san jose, crime, south bay news
- Medical examiner: 24 dead in Oklahoma tornado 5 min ago
- Search continues for man after Bay to Breakers 32 min ago
- Apple's Cook faces Senate questions on taxes
- Firefighters save Vallejo man in apartment fire
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma City area
- UC hospitals say patients safe despite strike
- More than 100 gas grills put to the test 26 min ago
- Man dies after fall during Bay to Breakers party
- Norman Wielsch sentenced to 14 years in prison
- 4-alarm grass fire burns 8 acres in Orinda
- Victims hope to get money back from lending scheme
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- roundup: Orinda fire; Obama coming to Bay Area
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday