South Bay News
Man arrested on Highway 17, officer shot
SANTA CRUZ COUNTY, Calif. -- San Jose police arrested a male suspect with a $1 million felony warrant for firearms violations on Highway 17 in northern Santa Cruz County Tuesday night.
At the scene of the arrest of 22-year-old Angel Solorzano, was a Santa Clara County adult probation officer, involved in the investigation. The probation officer accidentally discharged his firearm, causing a self-inflicted non-life threatening injury, police said.
Gilroy police had developed information that Solorzano was in San Jose and requested the assistance of the San Jose Police Department. San Jose's Covert Response Unit located Solorzano and stopped him in his vehicle around 8:05 p.m. on northbound state Highway 17.
Officers took Solorzano into custody without incident and turned him over to Gilroy police detectives, San Jose police said.
The injured peace officer was airlifted to a hospital, according to the California Highway Patrol.
santa cruz county, shooting, south bay news
- Man impaled, killed by pipe through windshield
- Richmond postpones suing Chevron over refinery fire
- Officials: All accounted for after Oklahoma tornado
- Cause of grass fire in San Jose under investigation
- Safety recommendations released for America's Cup
- Immigrant families disappointed by Feinstein's vote
- Surprise sting targets passenger vehicles at SFO
- Super Bowl 50 bid committee returns to Bay Area
- Dealers in training ahead of new casino opening
- Man makes firearm using 3-D printer
- Homeless woman defies odds, graduates from UOP
- abcnews: Top 10 highest-paid CEOs
- roundup: Crissy Field art; Richmond shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday