South Bay News
Woman killed by samurai sword-wielding man
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- A woman was killed in San Jose Monday night by a samurai sword-wielding man, marking the third violent incident in the city on Monday alone.
Around 1 p.m., there was a fatal drive-by shooting on Charles Street, followed by a shooting at 4 p.m. on Denair Avenue. The stabbing happened on West San Carlos Street in front of a Walgreens store.
Witnesses say the victim was a well-known figure in the neighborhood and at least one witness tells us the motive may have been related to voodoo.
People who live around the midtown area of San Jose say the victim is a homeless woman who regularly sits in front of the Walgreen's store on San Carlos Street.
"I know her as 'The Screaming Lady,' so whenever you walk by she's normally yelling or screaming, kind of scary," said resident Michael White.
Around 6:30 p.m., witnesses say a man got off the bus with a samurai sword and took several full swings at the woman's neck while she was sitting on the curb.
"He came up to her and bam, bam, then slit her throat with a samurai sword," said witness Angel Islas.
Islas says several witnesses chased the man around the Walgreens store until they ended back where the woman was lying on the sidewalk. Then Islas says he stabbed her several times.
"Even though she wasn't all that friendly, she was still a big part of the neighborhood," said Michael.
Across the street at the Starbucks, barista Ruth White says a bizarre incident happened this morning involving the victim and a man who matches the description of the suspect. She says the man flipped out.
"Like he threw the table of the gentleman next to him, dropped his drink, dropped the next person's drink, flew out of the store screaming 'Nooo, don't do that to me!' It scared everybody in the entire store," said Ruth.
Ruth says the man came back and explained the homeless woman was staring at him through the window.
"And we said, 'What happened? Are you OK?' And he said, 'She was trying to put a black voodoo spell on me and I didn't want her to,' and he was literally scared to death," said Ruth.
Investigators have not released a description on the suspect who is still on the loose.
san jose, south bay news, alan wang
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school 39 min ago
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained 33 min ago
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
11 min ago
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
39 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos