South Bay News
Memorial held for Los Altos Marine
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. (KGO) -- A Marine from Los Altos, who was killed in Afghanistan, is being remembered in the Bay Area. The funeral for Capt. Matt Manoukian is happening right now at his former high school, St. Francis in Mountain View.
Manoukian graduated from St. Francis High in the summer of 2001. During Saturday's memorial service the president of the school pointed out that it was the summer before September 11th Manoukian went on to become a Marine and a leader in the corps.
Hundreds of people turned out for the memorial service. The first part of the two-and-a-half our event was held inside the school's auditorium, which was packed with standing room only. It's an event will include an honor guard salute and military aircraft flyover.
ABC7 spoke with Manoukian's father, Santa Clara County Judge Socrates Manoukian just after he learned of his son's death earlier this month. He said his son was training Afghani security forces and one of the men he believed was a trainee requested a meeting, which was not unusual. During that meeting the Afghani shot and killed Manoukian and two other Marines as they ate dinner.
There have been a series of these kinds of attacks upon U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan lately. According to figures from NATO commanders, one in 10 deaths of NATO soldiers so far this year are from Afghani trainees or Afghanis whom soldiers believed were their allies.
los altos, mountain view, afghanistan, afghanistan war, marines, south bay news
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- All lanes of I-880 in Oakland cleared after fatal crash
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos