South Bay News
Fast food fans camp out for free Chick-fil-A
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- Dozens of fast food fans lined up in San Jose early Wednesday morning for the chance to win a year's worth of free Chick-fil-A. One hundred people are spending the night in front of the chain's newest store in order to claim the highly sought after prize.
"I was number 100, I was the last one called in the raffle to get the food," Fairfield resident Clark Sigler said.
The prize is a year's worth of Chick-fil-A -- actually 52 cards good for a meal. They'll be passed out Thursday at 5:30 a.m., thus the 24 hour wait that looked more like a party at times. The restaurant provided music, bathrooms and free food.
"We had chicken for breakfast, chicken for lunch, and now having chicken for dinner, but it's all good," Santa Clara resident Norm Josephson said.
I'm just an avid fan of a good product, good company and good morals," Union City resident Justin Chen said.
It was a moral stand that thrust Chick-fil-A into the headlines last month, when the company's president spoke out against same-sex marriage. Supporters lined up at the Fairfield location, which even ran out of food they were so overwhelmed. But no politics were evident in San Jose Wednesday, just periodic roll calls to make sure everyone stays in order and ice cream sundae bars to pass the time.
"It's like going to summer camp and at the end you get Chick-fil-A for a year," Fairfield resident David De La Hoz said. "So that's the best summer camp I've been to, short and sweet, delicious at the end."
A Chick-fil-A is scheduled to open in Walnut Creek in October.
restaurants, food, san jose, south bay news
- BART, union leaders reach new contract deal
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Man arrested in deadly fight at Antioch bowling alley
- US holiday travelers brace for foul, wet weather
- Vault fire in SF's Mission District now under control
- Neighbors: Nevada gunman had botched vasectomy 12 min ago
- Two injured in shooting near San Jose State University
- Ex-49er Harris sentenced in boyfriend's beating
- Massage therapist faces sexual battery charges
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Photos: FAN PHOTOS: Farewell Candlestick
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday