South Bay News
Chick-fil-A opening in SJ brings fans and protest
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- A new Chick-fil-A restaurant is now open in San Jose. There were 100 people camped out at the restaurant's parking lot overnight so they could be among the first to claim one year of free Chick-fil-A meals.
"I mean it's worth it. Obviously free food, but also to get something that feels like it's from home. I miss my southern cooking, I miss my sweet tea, I miss all that," said J.P. Flores of Santa Clara.
Among the campers was a couple with their three-month-old.
"We have a tent so I don't think there is any issue with the weather or anything," said San Jose resident Jeff Plaza.
"He sleeps through the night amazingly enough. He slept great, I didn't sleep that great," said San Jose resident Jenny Plaza.
Comments by the head of the restaurant chain against same-sex marriage created a national controversy last month. Before noon there were a couple of protesters in front of the restaurant and a bigger demonstration by same-sex marriage supporters has been planned for later this afternoon.
The Chick-fil-A restaurant in San Jose is located at 53 Headquarters Drive. Until now, the closest Chick-fil-A was in Fairfield. Another one will open in October in Walnut Creek.
restaurants, food, san jose, south bay news
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect arrested
- One injured in apartment fire near San Jose State
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes 20 min ago
- 'Legends of Candlestick' to return for final game
- Afghanistan hospital guard kills three American doctors
- 2 arrested for murder of pet sitter in East Oakland 35 min ago
- Batteries in baby video monitors recalled
- Brentwood boy to be honored at MLB All-Star game 22 min ago
- Suspected San Jose homicide victim identified 31 min ago
- 5-year-old Oakland boy shot in eye with paintball gun
- Amazon launches grocery service for Prime members 3 min ago
- Actor dressed as homeless man fools New Yorkers 37 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Muni bus fire; Hiker rescued 42 min ago