South Bay News
Family says injured SJ firefighter is progressing
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- Members of a South Bay church are gathering for a mass, just two days after a fire heavily damaged their place of worship.
Frank Ryan, 41, was helping fight that fire when he suffered a massive heart attack. He's remains hospitalized in critical but stable condition. The 15 year veteran has a large, loving family. And his family of firefighters is staying with him around-the-clock.His three sisters and six brothers released a statement Saturday afternoon, "Frank is progressing in a positive way. We are taking it one day at a time given the circumstances surrounding his condition. The staff, doctors and critical care nurses have been vigilant, caring, reassuring, and informative. We are overwhelmed and happy with the amount of support we are receiving from the San Jose Fire Department. We are very hopeful and will remain by Frank's side. This difficult time has been made easier by the fraternal bond and support from the fire department family."
The San Jose Fire Department also issued a statement Saturday, "Our Fire Family will remain strong and provide support to Frank and his family around the clock. We are very appreciative of the phone calls and outreach from other agencies. This support is inclusive of many other fire agencies who have told us they are available at a moments notice to help with anything we may need. We will continue to serve the City of San Jose and provide its citizens the excellent service they deserve." Members of Saint Patrick Cathedral are grieving their own loss. It could take months to rebuild the historic church which has a congregation of 16,000. Saturday's mass is being held at the church's gym. The cause and origin of Thursday's fire is still under investigation.
san jose, fire, south bay news
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting 47 min ago
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday