South Bay News
Family says injured SJ firefighter is progressing
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- Members of a South Bay church are gathering for a mass, just two days after a fire heavily damaged their place of worship.
Frank Ryan, 41, was helping fight that fire when he suffered a massive heart attack. He's remains hospitalized in critical but stable condition. The 15 year veteran has a large, loving family. And his family of firefighters is staying with him around-the-clock.His three sisters and six brothers released a statement Saturday afternoon, "Frank is progressing in a positive way. We are taking it one day at a time given the circumstances surrounding his condition. The staff, doctors and critical care nurses have been vigilant, caring, reassuring, and informative. We are overwhelmed and happy with the amount of support we are receiving from the San Jose Fire Department. We are very hopeful and will remain by Frank's side. This difficult time has been made easier by the fraternal bond and support from the fire department family."
The San Jose Fire Department also issued a statement Saturday, "Our Fire Family will remain strong and provide support to Frank and his family around the clock. We are very appreciative of the phone calls and outreach from other agencies. This support is inclusive of many other fire agencies who have told us they are available at a moments notice to help with anything we may need. We will continue to serve the City of San Jose and provide its citizens the excellent service they deserve." Members of Saint Patrick Cathedral are grieving their own loss. It could take months to rebuild the historic church which has a congregation of 16,000. Saturday's mass is being held at the church's gym. The cause and origin of Thursday's fire is still under investigation.
san jose, fire, south bay news
- Asiana crash victim was run over twice 39 min ago
- Memorial takes place in SF to honor Mandela
- Man shot by deputy may be "Cotton Ball Bandit"
- Four-alarm warehouse fire in Concord investigated
- Huy Fong Foods halting Sriracha sauce shipments
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Facebook to join S&P 500
- Volkswagen to end production of iconic 'Kombi' vans
- Runaway sisters found hiding in neighbor's home
- wls: Baby girl found dead in car seat in Chicago
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world
- roundup: Rollover crash victim; Vallejo homicide
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Cold snap damages plants in Bay Area yards
23 min ago