South Bay News
Man rescued after falling from cliff in Santa Cruz
SANTA CRUZ, Calif. -- Fire personnel rescued someone who fell from an oceanside cliff in Santa Cruz on Sunday, according to fire officials.
A short time after noon, fire crews responded to a report of a male who had fallen from a cliff near Merced Avenue and West Cliff Drive, Santa Cruz fire officials said.
Crews arrived to find the victim suffering from injuries at the base of the cliff.
Fire personnel pulled the victim up using a rope system and other equipment. He was taken to Dominican Hospital in Santa Cruz with moderate injuries.
West Cliff Drive was closed for about 30 minutes Sunday afternoon while the rescue took place.
Fire officials say the incident is a reminder to be careful when walking on or around rocks near cliff edges.
santa cruz, south bay news
- 4.4 earthquake strikes Southern California
- Obama announces sanctions on Russian officials 56 min ago
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Female pedestrian fatally struck in Concord
- CHP reopens two lanes of WB I-80 in SF
- EU mulling next steps against Russia over Ukraine
- GM recalls 1.18 million SUVs for air bag problem 22 min ago
- Jet search expands north, south; mystery persists 52 min ago
- Marijuana grow found at San Jose house fire
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos