South Bay News
Principal arrested on suspicion of having meth
SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- The principal of a Santa Clara elementary school has been arrested on drug charges.
Eric Dean Lewis, principal of Montague Elementary School, was arrested Friday around 2:30 p.m. at a Caltrain station in Santa Clara. Officials say Lewis, a San Francisco resident, was arrested after he allegedly offered to provide drugs to an undercover officer who contacted him through an online dating site.According to Michelle Gregory, a spokeswoman for the California Department of Justice, the sting was set up after a drug task force involving her department and local police received a tip that Lewis was involved in drugs and frequented the dating site. Lewis was not found to be in possession of drugs at the time of his arrest but a search of his home uncovered around a quarter ounce of methamphetamine, GHB and scales. The discovery led investigators to the conclusion that he was dealing, not just using. He was arrested on suspicion of offering to furnish drugs, possession and possession with intent to sell. He is expected to be arraigned Monday. The elementary school principal had taken a day off from work on Friday. The drug charges do not appear to include Montague or any students, although Gregory noted that investigators are still combing through Lewis' computer to determine if further charges are warranted.
santa clara, drugs, south bay news
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case