South Bay News
Elementary school in SJ earns visit from Rep. Lofgren
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- A South Bay school district is being praised for sharp increases in student test scores and one school even received a visit from Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren.
Students of Cesar Chavez Elementary in San Jose had never had a U.S. congresswoman visit before. It was the school and the district's test scores which brought Zoe Lofgren to the school. Alum Rock Unified has 20 elementary and six middle schools. Today, 14 of those schools have a score of 800 or higher on the API which is intended to measure proficiency in math and English. 800 is the goal set by the Department of Education for all California schools.
For Alum Rock, it was a big achievement. There, 63 percent of students are English language learners. In the past few years, teachers in the district have learned to work together to assess and support students. "We come in with a large group of students and they all have different needs. It helps us really to identify those needs and plan according to those needs," teacher Alexia Ford said.
Students who need the extra attention work in small groups with a teacher. The school district has also enjoyed the financial help of local foundations. Grants have also paid for educational coaches who come to the school to support the teachers. "It's like anything else, if I'm going to improve my golf swing, I need a coach to help me look at what's happening, analyze it, and make corrections, and that's what has happened. You can't always do that in isolation," Interim Superintendent Stephen Fiss said.
"You know that old saying, 'Two brains are better than one?' It gives you access to different resources that maybe you haven't heard of like certain websites and books," teacher Rebecca Jensen added. All those efforts have paid off and have given students a more positive outlook. "So, I can have a better opportunity to go to college," fourth-grader William Navarrete said.
san jose, alum rock, south bay news, lyanne melendez
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- 10-year-old San Leandro boy found safe
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire