South Bay News
Roof of single-family home destroyed by fire
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Firefighters will be on the scene of a still-smoldering two-alarm house fire in San Jose throughout the night, a fire captain said.
Firefighters responded to 3156 Midhurst Court at 7:02 p.m. on reports of the fire.
When firefighters arrived, they found the home's garage burning, and reports from residents suggested that one or two people could be inside the garage, Capt. Mike Van Elgort said.
Firefighters then prepared to rescue the people from the garage, calling a second alarm response. However, the firefighters later discovered that all residents had escaped safely.
Meanwhile, the fire had spread to the attic and roof of the single-story house, and the roof became untenable, sending firefighters to the ground for a defensive attack.
The fire was under control by about 8 p.m.
The roof of the home is still smoldering tonight, and firefighters are concerned it may collapse, so they will remain on fire watch throughout the night there, Van Elgort said.
There was some concern that flying embers could expose other nearby homes to fire, however low wind prevented that from happening.
The house sustained moderate to heavy damage, including the total destruction of the roof, which will need to be replaced.
The Red Cross was called to assist four adults and one teenager who were displaced by the blaze. No injuries were reported.
san jose, fire, south bay news
- Protesters vacate CCSF building, head to city hall
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- Vehicle runs over gas line, hits SJ DMV building 22 min ago
- Manhunt on for Bay Area ATM robber
- Oakland considers dropping ShotSpotter technology
- Outkast, The Cure to headline BottleRock in Napa 38 min ago
- CDC reports rare woman-to-woman HIV transmission
- Overnight stays come to Winchester Mystery House
- Gorilla delivered via rare C-section at San Diego Zoo
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Tree removal dispute; Weed-laced brownies
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos