South Bay News
Roof of single-family home destroyed by fire
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Firefighters will be on the scene of a still-smoldering two-alarm house fire in San Jose throughout the night, a fire captain said.
Firefighters responded to 3156 Midhurst Court at 7:02 p.m. on reports of the fire.
When firefighters arrived, they found the home's garage burning, and reports from residents suggested that one or two people could be inside the garage, Capt. Mike Van Elgort said.
Firefighters then prepared to rescue the people from the garage, calling a second alarm response. However, the firefighters later discovered that all residents had escaped safely.
Meanwhile, the fire had spread to the attic and roof of the single-story house, and the roof became untenable, sending firefighters to the ground for a defensive attack.
The fire was under control by about 8 p.m.
The roof of the home is still smoldering tonight, and firefighters are concerned it may collapse, so they will remain on fire watch throughout the night there, Van Elgort said.
There was some concern that flying embers could expose other nearby homes to fire, however low wind prevented that from happening.
The house sustained moderate to heavy damage, including the total destruction of the roof, which will need to be replaced.
The Red Cross was called to assist four adults and one teenager who were displaced by the blaze. No injuries were reported.
san jose, fire, south bay news
- Frigid temperatures continue in the Bay Area
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Dawson go-ahead field goal lifts 49ers by Seattle
- Facebook considers adding "sympathize" button
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Time announces finalists for Person of the Year 43 min ago
- Family asks for help in finding SF hit-and-run driver
- Winter Spare the Air called for today
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos