South Bay News
Woman flees shoplifting scene, leaves daughter behind
MORGAN HILL, Calif. (KGO) -- A woman abandoned her 10-year-old daughter at a Morgan Hill Safeway after their shoplifting scheme unraveled.
Police are still looking for Marcy Keelin, who drove away from the supermarket without her daughter on Sept. 19.
It was around 5 p.m. last Wednesday when police say the two shopped, filled their cart with groceries, and didn't pay.
Keelin apparently, told her daughter to wait inside the store, near the exit doors, while she got their car. The 10-year-old was supposed to push the cart out of the store as soon as she saw her mom pulling up to the front of the store.
But as the girl started to walk out, Safeway employees stopped her. Police say her mother saw what happened and drove away, leaving the girl to deal with the situation alone.
Police say this isn't the first time Keelin and her daughter have shop lifted from the Safeway.
They say the same thing happened two weeks prior and that time, it worked. They were able to get out of the store with their cart full of things like beer and bread.
Police are looking for Keelin. She is 5 feet 11 inches tall and weighs 200 pounds with brown hair and brown eyes and may be traveling with her boyfriend. She was last seen driving a green Ford Explorer with a Wyoming license plate number 411118.
The 10 year old isn't charged with a crime and is now staying with her grandmother in Morgan Hill.
No one wanted to speak to us at Keelin's mother's house, but longtime neighbor Janet Ohenenyako says Keelin and her children arrived this summer and they were supposed to go back to Wyoming soon.
"The mom told me she is not feeling very well. She is bipolar... so... and she's on medication or something," said Ohenenyako.
We spoke with Keelin's father in law in Wyoming by phone. He says he's not surprised by any of this and that he has reported his daughter in law to Child Protective Services in the past. He says she's heading back to Wyoming.
morgan hill, crime, children, south bay news, lisa amin gulezian
- 5-alarm fire burning at building near China Basin 28 min ago
- San Jose police officer facing sexual assault charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Balboa Park BART station reopens after fatality 22 min ago
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure 10 min ago
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos