South Bay News
Fire destroyes warehouse in San Jose
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- A warehouse at 10th and Hedding Streets was destroyed by a fire Saturday afternoon, according to San Jose fire officials.
The fire, reported at 2:22 p.m., was sending a large column of smoke into the air by the time firefighters were called, according to Fire Capt. Rob Brown.The building, a commercial warehouse building, was fully involved in flames by the time firefighters arrived. Brown said firefighters were unable to enter the structure and stayed outside, targeting the flames with streams of water and protecting nearby buildings. The fire was declared under control around 3:30 p.m. Brown said the building was a "total loss," with only some walls left standing. It is unclear whether anything was inside, and some witnesses on the scene indicated the building may have been abandoned or empty, Brown said. There were no injuries reported, but Brown noted that firefighters were unable to determine if anyone was inside. The fire's cause and origin remain under investigation.
san jose, fire, south bay news
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained 58 min ago
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
36 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos