South Bay News
Residents asked to be on alert after series of mailbox thefts
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. -- Several mailboxes in unincorporated San Mateo County near Redwood City were forced open and their contents stolen between Wednesday afternoon and Thursday morning, according to county emergency officials.
<p The series of thefts occurred between 4:30 p.m. Wednesday and 8 a.m. Thursday from mailboxes located at Skyline Boulevard and Bear Gulch Road West, emergency officials said.
The boxes were forced open with pry tools and locks were cut with bolt cutters to get to delivered mail, according to officials.
Emergency officials said an inspector from the U.S. Postal Inspection Service has been assigned to investigate the rash of thefts and will be working with the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office.
Anyone with information about the mail thefts is asked to email oyochsmcgov.org.
Residents are asked to report any suspicious vehicles or people breaking into mailboxes and to share a full description of suspects to San Mateo County sheriff's dispatch at (650) 363-4911.
Mail theft is often associated with check, credit card and identify theft. Stealing U.S. mail is a federal offense punishable by a lengthy term in federal prison, according to officials.
crime, south bay news
- 3 detained following chase in SF officer shooting 3 min ago
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case
- 3 detained following chase in SF officer...
3 min ago
- Object spotted may be part of missing...
13 min ago