South Bay News
Investigators looking into suspicious fires
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Investigators believe a fire that burned in West San Jose on Monday evening may be part of a string of suspicious fires that have occurred in that area over the past two weeks, a fire captain said Tuesday.
Monday's one-alarm fire burned outside 834 Delna Manor Lane, a residential street near South Bascom Avenue and Downing Avenue, fire Capt. Mary Gutierrez said.
At least eight similar fires have burned in the neighborhood since Sept. 26, and investigators believe they may be related, Gutierrez said.
"The majority seem to be happening after dark," Gutierrez said.
She said the fires have burned in back or side alleys of large, multi-tenant residential buildings, some near Dumpsters, brush or trees.
So far, Gutierrez said, none of the fires have spread to the buildings, but fire investigators are still concerned.
"We are taking this seriously because there is a high potential for property loss and loss of life," Gutierrez said.
No suspects have been identified yet, she said.
Anyone with information about the fires is asked to call the San Jose Fire Department's arson tip hotline at (408) 272-7766.
fire, arson, san jose, south bay news
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Fatal accident on Almaden Expressway in San Jose 16 min ago
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Hammer beating; SF "420" crackdown 57 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
48 min ago