South Bay News
Investigators looking into suspicious fires
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Investigators believe a fire that burned in West San Jose on Monday evening may be part of a string of suspicious fires that have occurred in that area over the past two weeks, a fire captain said Tuesday.
Monday's one-alarm fire burned outside 834 Delna Manor Lane, a residential street near South Bascom Avenue and Downing Avenue, fire Capt. Mary Gutierrez said.
At least eight similar fires have burned in the neighborhood since Sept. 26, and investigators believe they may be related, Gutierrez said.
"The majority seem to be happening after dark," Gutierrez said.
She said the fires have burned in back or side alleys of large, multi-tenant residential buildings, some near Dumpsters, brush or trees.
So far, Gutierrez said, none of the fires have spread to the buildings, but fire investigators are still concerned.
"We are taking this seriously because there is a high potential for property loss and loss of life," Gutierrez said.
No suspects have been identified yet, she said.
Anyone with information about the fires is asked to call the San Jose Fire Department's arson tip hotline at (408) 272-7766.
fire, arson, san jose, south bay news
- Collapse feared at site of massive Mission Bay fire
- 7 people dead in New York gas explosion 7 min ago
- Navy's new warship will travel to SF for Fleet Week
- Report: Chinese site may show plane debris images
- SF policeinvestigating shooting in the Outer Mission 12 min ago
- Parents rally after assaults at elementary schools
- Santa Cruz police arrest suspect in sexual assault
- Recall issued for Fitbit Force over skin problems
- Man accused of shooting SF police officer facing assault charges
- No fault in how Children's Hospital handled gir's surgeries
- Family's plea helps get dying boy experimental drug
- Florida police give 'ticket' to 2-year-old driver
- roundup: Fatal motorcycle accident; Watsonville...
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos