South Bay News
Second Harvest Food Bank kicks off holiday food
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- With unemployment still high, the need to feed the hungry is ongoing but it grows even more acute during the holidays. The Second Harvest Food Bank kicked off its holiday food and fundraising drive Thursday.
Social service agencies say long-term unemployment remains a problem in Silicon Valley, and that's why you continue to see demand for food programs.
Second Harvest Food Bank has set a goal to raise $12.4 million and to collect 2 million pounds of food over the next three months. It helps to feed a quarter-million people every month in Santa Clara and San Mateo counties.
These are executives from Cisco, who are pitching in sweat labor for the 10th year in a row, to box up fresh produce and non-perishable food items. Second Harvest partners with 300 agencies that in turn distribute the food at 740 locations across the two counties.
Other Silicon Valley companies, such as EMC and Barracuda Networks, along with the San Francisco 49ers, helped to kick off the campaign.
"Though the problem is large, we believe it's solvable, and working together we can insure that anyone who needs a meal can actually get one," Second Harvest food Bank CEO Kathy Jackson said.
Donation barrels will be set up at offices and businesses. The faces are real. Bella and Chris from San Jose received food assistance from Second Harvest when their parents lost their jobs.
It's usually large, big-name companies that often are leaders in food drives like this, but small community groups and schools also play a big role in making sure that no one goes hungry.
san jose, holiday, food, south bay news, david louie
- Collapse feared at site of massive 5-alarm fire in SF
- FBI searching for Bay Area bombing suspect
- India says Malaysia seeking help in search for jet 38 min ago
- Requests to carry concealed guns surges in Calif. 32 min ago
- Santa Cruz police arrest suspect in sexual assault
- Target apologizes for girl's bathing suit Photoshop fail
- Parents warned about new psychedelic drug 50 min ago
- Boat crashes into rocks near Oyster Point Marina 42 min ago
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Groups protest chemicals used in iPhone 25 min ago
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos