South Bay News
Jury finds former SJ principal guilty of failing to report alleged abuse
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- Tragic but necessary is how jurors described their decision to convict a former school principal for failing to report a case of suspected child abuse involving a teacher.
Lyn Vijayendran wept as the judge read the guilty verdict. The 36-year-old educator was principal at San Jose's O.B. Whaley Elementary when an 8t-year-old student told her the teacher blindfolded her and put a strange substance in her mouth.
The district attorney hopes the verdict is a warning to other educators.
"She needed to be held accountable, and we needed to send a message to the rest of the mandatory reporters in our community that their obligation is to report, not to investigate," Deputy District Attorney Alison Filo said.
Vijayendran will not go to jail. The judge sentenced her to six months of probation, a $602 fine and 100 hours of community service.
Jurors sympathized with her, but said she must face the consequences.
"She didn't do what she knew she should do; she had a suspicion and she didn't act on it, and the consequences were just abominable," juror Susan Lagassa said.
The teacher, Craig Chandler, is facing charges of lewd conduct with five of his students.
san jose, sex crimes, trials, children, crime, south bay news
- Freeze Warning in effect for most of Bay Area 28 min ago
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Dawson go-ahead field goal lifts 49ers by Seattle
- Facebook considers adding "sympathize" button
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Family asks for help in finding SF hit-and-run driver
- Winter Spare the Air called for today
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
21 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos