South Bay News
San Jose police officer injured in gunfight
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- A gunfight broke out between police and armed suspected robbers in East San Jose. One officer was hit by a bullet, but he is expected to survive.
An armed robbery happened around 9:30 p.m. Friday and it turned into a foot pursuit and shootout with police.
At Tully Road and Alvin Avenue police shot it out with the suspects, who jumped out of the car and took off running, firing shots. Later, that location was just one of the intersections shut down for the police investigation.
The gunfight happened right in front of the Best Western right off of Highway 101 and Tully Road.
Best Western desk clerk Senaida Gil told us, "I told him, 'Wow. That's gunshots.' And he was like, 'No, it couldn't have been,' but then we heard the sirens and that's when we knew there were gunshots."
A guest at the Best Western had just checked into the hotel and he left his 12-year-old son in the car. That's when he heard five gunshots, just a few yards away from his son. That kid is OK and was not injured.
The suspects are still believed to be on the loose. There have been police helicopters flying over the area searching for those armed robbery suspects. The officers searched a quarter-mile stretch near Tully Road and Highway 101 for the suspects.
Police believe the suspects have pulled off four convenience store robberies on Friday.
san jose, shooting, crime, south bay news, alan wang
- BART, union leaders reach new contract deal
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Man arrested in deadly fight at Antioch bowling alley
- St. Anthony's holds annual Curbside Donation Drive
- Vault fire in SF's Mission District now under control 23 min ago
- Two injured in shooting near San Jose State University
- Ex-49er Harris sentenced in boyfriend's beating
- Massage therapist faces sexual battery charges 38 min ago
- Mother, toddler endure violent home invasion robbery
- Pope Francis visits Rome children's hospital
- Photos: FAN PHOTOS: Farewell Candlestick 58 min ago
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday