South Bay News
San Jose police officer injured in gunfight
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- A gunfight broke out between police and armed suspected robbers in East San Jose. One officer was hit by a bullet, but he is expected to survive.
An armed robbery happened around 9:30 p.m. Friday and it turned into a foot pursuit and shootout with police.
At Tully Road and Alvin Avenue police shot it out with the suspects, who jumped out of the car and took off running, firing shots. Later, that location was just one of the intersections shut down for the police investigation.
The gunfight happened right in front of the Best Western right off of Highway 101 and Tully Road.
Best Western desk clerk Senaida Gil told us, "I told him, 'Wow. That's gunshots.' And he was like, 'No, it couldn't have been,' but then we heard the sirens and that's when we knew there were gunshots."
A guest at the Best Western had just checked into the hotel and he left his 12-year-old son in the car. That's when he heard five gunshots, just a few yards away from his son. That kid is OK and was not injured.
The suspects are still believed to be on the loose. There have been police helicopters flying over the area searching for those armed robbery suspects. The officers searched a quarter-mile stretch near Tully Road and Highway 101 for the suspects.
Police believe the suspects have pulled off four convenience store robberies on Friday.
san jose, shooting, crime, south bay news, alan wang
- Obama's Berlin speech: History raises the stakes 34 min ago
- BART police chief bringing auditor to assess reforms 35 min ago
- Fairfield grass fire spreads to nearby motel
- Tenderloin apartment building roof fire extinguished
- Tesla Model S recall for rear seat latch issue
- Interest rates for subsidized loans may double July 1
- Workers face charges after sit-in at AT&T Park 45 min ago
- Fire burns 50 acres in Benicia
- 6-year-old boy killed by dog in Union City
- Sacramento discusses self-driving car regulations
- SF approves new regulations for food trucks
- abcnews: $73,000 'Most Spectacular' dog vacation
- roundup: Colma BART fatality; Fatal house fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday