South Bay News
Firefighter injured battling 3-alarm blaze in SJ
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- A firefighter was injured and several units were heavily damaged after a three-alarm fire tore through a San Jose apartment building Thursday night.
Officials say the blaze started in the roof attic area of the complex at 938 Willowleaf Drive. They're two-story townhomes, part of the Kimberly Woods Apartments.
The fire department got the call around 8:30 p.m. They say it appears the cause may be related to a fireplace. Flames were most intense in the roof attic area of one unit.
A total of four units are said to be destroyed by flames, smoke, or water damage. At least 10 people have been displaced from their homes.
We spoke to one man who rushed to get his wife and kids out of the home after a neighbor pounded on their door, alerting them to the fire. His is one of the four that was destroyed, "My 11-year-old daughter, she's really sad her stuff was destroyed," tenant Juan Nino said. "It's a really bad feeling, but if you look at it in another light, we're thankful that we're okay, nobody got hurt, we'll figure it out tomorrow. Tomorrow will be a brighter day."
The Red Cross is on scene, helping the displaced residents find a temporary place to stay.
One firefighter was injured. He's being treated for minor injuries.
san jose, fire, red cross, south bay news, lilian kim
- Bicyclist killed in accident with garbage truck in SF 28 min ago
- Obama to address drones, Gitmo in security speech
- Thunderstorms slow Oklahoma tornado cleanup
- Man impaled, killed by pipe through windshield
- Man escapes early morning house fire in Pinole 16 min ago
- Work to begin to replace bolts on new Bay Bridge 15 min ago
- SamTrans bus hits low hanging wire in San Mateo 26 min ago
- San Jose firefighters control 1-alarm house fire
- 'Attractive & Fat' campaign slams Abercrombie & Fitch
- Results of Consumer Reports test of sunscreens
- Man makes firearm using 3-D printer
- abcnews: Top 10 highest-paid CEOs
- roundup: Missing pony; High-speed rail 31 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos