South Bay News
Jewelry store owner shoots at robbers in San Jose
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- In San Jose, a jewelry store owner stopped an armed robber in a bold way. Police say she's lucky things turned out the way they did. Her strategy is not one they recommend.
There was a brazen move by two would-be armed robbers, an even more brazen move by an armed jewelry store owner on Story and King roads. It was a stand-off that could have easily ended in tragedy, but didn't.
"They pointed guns and made demands for some items within the store," said San Jose Police spokesperson Albert Morales.
Police are looking for the two gunmen who entered the small store and pounded on the counter, expecting to make off with watches and jewelry. Instead of getting away, the robbers found a pistol leveled at them, instead. The store owner, reportedly a woman, shot at least one time, and while she didn't hit anyone, the suspects ran outside to make their escape in a waiting SUV.
Police admit she had a Constitutional right to protect her property, but wish she had held back instead if of firing.
"We don't recommend it. We would have preferred that they just go ahead and comply with the request or demands of the robbers. Again they were after material items that could be replaced and again our biggest fear is that somebody would have gotten hurt, injured and possibly even died," said Morales.
The store owners chose to not talk about this on camera and want to keep a low profile. But they did tell me that they have video surveillance inside the store and that it captured everything.
The police now indicate that they now have those videos and they're hoping to identify the suspects and make an arrest.
san jose, crime, shooting, south bay news, wayne freedman
- Wounded police officer back in surgery
- Amber Alert canceled for child from Long Beach
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- Drought prompts officials to release water in Delta
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting
- Petaluma foster home in danger of closing
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Tesoro chemical spill; SOMA fire
- Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
54 min ago