South Bay News
Jewelry bandits may have robbed stores in other cities
LOS GATOS, Calif. -- Two armed men wearing masks who robbed a jewelry store Tuesday and remain at-large may have pulled similar heists in other local cities, a police sergeant said Friday.
Los Gatos police are cooperating with law enforcement agencies, such as in the city of Santa Cruz and Alameda County, where similar robberies have been reported to catch the thieves, Sgt. Kerry Harris said.
"We feel fairly confident that these people have done these jewelry thefts in other jurisdictions," Sgt. Kerry Harris said.
The other localities also experienced recent armed thefts of jewelry shops involving a pair of male suspects who acted quickly, smashed jewelry cases and left as fast as they came, Harris said.
The robbery of the Los Gatos store, Blacy's Fine Jewelers at 51 University Ave., occurred around 12:10 p.m. Tuesday, when the two thieves held employees up with black semi-automatic pistols and demanded jewelry.
The store's surveillance camera recorded one of the masked men smashing and emptying glass cases.
They fled with an undisclosed cache of jewelry and drove down University Avenue in what witnesses described as a gray Volkswagen Jetta bearing North Carolina license plates.
Police found the car abandoned a few minutes later several blocks away on Miles Avenue.
Officers learned later that the Jetta had been stolen and the license plates were lifted from another car. Officers also recovered some of the stolen jewelry where they found the car.
los gatos, crime, south bay news
- Several aftershocks felt after 5.7 quake in Greenville 5 min ago
- I-5 bridge collapse caused by truck hitting span
- Czech police: Palo Alto man suspected in 4 murders
- New details released in police officers' murders
- BART board votes to relax rush hour bike ban 45 min ago
- Magnitude 8.2 earthquake hits Russia's Far East
- New info released about robbery in Santa Rosa
- Gov. Brown keeps pressing climate change crusade
- TIME publishes Obama prom photo, yearbook message
- Caltrans shows fix for broken Bay Bridge bolts
- Oakland's real estate market heats up
- abcnews: New bill would allow pets on Amtrak
- roundup: Bicyclist killed in SF; Body in canal ID'd 22 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
11 min ago