South Bay News
Shirakawa must return $13K in credit card expenses
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- A scathing Santa Clara County internal audit shows Supervisor George Shirakawa used his taxpayer-funded credit card for prohibited personal expenses such as hotel rooms, meals, car rentals and golf games.
The San Jose Mercury News says Shirakawa was ordered on Monday to immediately reimburse nearly $13,000.
The latest pay-back demand brings the total amount of forbidden credit charges to nearly $37,000 in the past four years.
Shirakawa's county credit card is supposed to be used for small-item purchases and county business trip expenses.
san jose, santa clara county, south bay news
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- San Jose man charged in two violent sexual assaults
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate 22 min ago
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos