South Bay News
Former SJ teacher sentenced for child pornography
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- A former San Jose elementary school teacher was sentenced Tuesday to one year in the Santa Clara County Main Jail for possession of child pornography after police found images on computer hard drives he used, a district attorney's office spokeswoman said.
Johnny Urias, 51, has been given until Dec. 14 to surrender to begin his sentence, which also includes four years probation and registration as a sex offender, said Lisa McCrary, ombudsman for the Santa Clara County District Attorney's Office.
The Santa Clara County Superior Court also required Urias to stay at least 300 yards from the elementary school where he used to work, McCrary said.
The court agreed to drop one of the two counts of possession of child pornography against the defendant, McCrary said.
Urias, a former teacher at the Will Rodgers Elementary School in San Jose, was arrested by Milpitas police at his San Jose home May 30, months after they received a report that he might have child pornography, according to the Milpitas Police Department.
His wife found the images on his computers and turned him in, according to Clarissa Hamilton, deputy district attorney with the Santa Clara County District Attorney's Office.
Milpitas police began an investigation, which included examining the hard drives of computers Urias had access to, in August 2011 when Urias used to live in Milpitas.
Investigators did not extract enough evidence from the hard drives to make an arrest until May, police said.
Urias had been placed on paid leave from the school in September 2011, police said.
san jose, sex crimes, milpitas, children, crime, sex offender, south bay news
- Family escapes house fire in Oakland overnight
- Preemie has hope of going home by Christmas
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash
- Breakthrough awards scientists in Mountain View
- Crash forces elementary school closure in San Rafael
- Poll: Californians gradually souring on unions
- Beyonce releases new iTunes-exclusive album
- Hwy 85 connector ramp reopened after fatal crash 54 min ago
- Only On 7: In-depth look into the life of drug dealers
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Friday
- roundup: BART higher fares; Bingo robbery
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday