South Bay News
Teen arrested in connection with HS bomb threat
CUPERTINO, Calif. -- A 16-year-old boy was arrested Friday in connection with a bomb threat that shut down Monta Vista High School in Cupertino on Thursday, a Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office spokesman said Saturday.
Sheriff's deputies arrested the boy Friday around 5 p.m., according to Lt. Rick Sung.
The high school, located at 21840 McClellan Road, canceled classes on Thursday following the bomb threat, Sung said.
Santa Clara County authorities received a report from San Jose police at 6:39 a.m. of the threat, Sung said.
Police reported that graffiti at Lynbrook High School, located at 1280 Johnson Ave. in San Jose, referenced a bomb threat at Monta Vista High School, Sung said.
A specific male teacher, whose name hasn't been released, was referenced in the threat, he said.
Sheriff's deputies and bomb-detecting dogs searched the area and found no explosive devices, Sung said.
Because of its close proximity to Monta Vista High, Lincoln Elementary School, at 21710 McClellan Road, was also closed on Thursday, Sung said.
"Sheriff's deputies worked relentlessly for almost two days until the arrest of the juvenile who is responsible for the crimes," Sung said. "Overall, there was great communication and cooperation between the Sheriff's Office and the Monta Vista High School administration."
Classes at Monta Vista resumed Friday morning.
crime, cupertino, south bay news
- One dead, another critical in San Francisco fire
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station
- Police search for men over attempted bank robbery
- Teen girl found in Berkeley says she was kidnapped
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Woman struck by cab in downtown San Francisco 46 min ago
- 2 people shot at Richmond strip mall
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- Florida school board member wants parent dress code
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events
- Woman attempting run from San Francisco to New York 13 min ago
- VIRAL VIDEO: "World's toughest job" interview
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos